best mobile broadband offer?

theDarkness 23:34 29 Apr 2008

I like the idea since i have recently obtained a laptop, so i am wondering who has the best deal currently going for mobile broadband? I would rather avoid the high st big name stores such as vodaphone which tend to con users with a 'fantastic' £15 per month offer, only to find out they are most likely then locked into a 18 or 24 month contract.. are there any smaller scale companies offering a reliable service but with a more realistic contract of either 6 or 12 months? Im probably best to wait a while yet so that the price of the usb modems come down but i am just wanting to know how people using such a service have found it so far-and if they can recommend it. thanks

Diodorus Siculus 09:22 30 Apr 2008

I suppose it all depends on where you live, but I have found that there is sufficient free wi-fi in London to negate the need for one of these. In the few cases where I have wanted internet access and couldn't find a free wi-fi hotspot, I used my mobile to get what I wanted.

Anyway, as that doesn't answer your question, try to get a company that will give it to you on a trial basis - there are often connection difficulties in many areas - and the novelty does tend to wear off!

jimmybond 11:15 30 Apr 2008

£15 is pretty 'fantastic', I don't think you can moan about being 'conned', simply because it's an 18 or 24 month contract - all of the major providers will do this, and it's common knowledge. If you get a pay monthly thing, you'll only pay £100 or so for the dongle instead, whereas it would have been free on an 18 month plan.
I think you will need to end up with one of 'big names' and get conned as you put it - as people like t-Mobile and 3 have all of the 3G network coverage (I think they recently joined forces in this respect).
I use t-Mobile and my phone as a broadband modem, works fine. £12.50 a month as an add on. get around 1.5Mb which is plenty for me.
Apart from the fact that T-Mobile have called me twice in the last week, trying to sell me the usb dongle as well...why they think I'd want to pay again for the same service I have already, is beyond me. "oh but it's easier to plug a usb dongle into your laptop"....yeah than press two buttons on my phone and click connect.

theDarkness 21:23 30 Apr 2008

I guess progs such as whats on More4 RIGHT NOW dont inject much confidence! Lol i guess you can get it cheap as part of a home package or long contract but i think ill prob wait a while yet. :-)

tullie 12:14 01 May 2008

If you dont like the terms of the contract,walk away.No one is conning anyone.

urban gorilla 21:44 10 May 2008

theDarkness
You don't need to sign up to a contract if you purchase the dongle..around £99
then you just top up as you would for pay as you go tariffs.
3 mobile are currently offering their dongles at half price..£49 with top up at £10 & £15..their coverage is good in the london area with donwload speeds averaging 1.5MB/sec...well that's what i'm getting :)

theDarkness 23:13 07 Jun 2008

I am wondering if the 12 to 15 month services will have a much greater download limit as opposed to a £50 to £100 dongle with no contract whatsoever? £100 just for a dongle seems a bit extortionate but then thats essentially paying for having no contract.. Ironic! Lol :D

Forum Editor 00:47 08 Jun 2008

for nothing when I signed up for my network's mobile service (T-Mobile, £15 a month, 18 months).

So far I'm pretty pleased with the service. Once I'm plugged into the laptop I'm connected within about 5 to 10 seconds, and I'm on the internet wherever I am, provided there's a mobile signal.

There's no con about this at all; £15 a month is pretty good, and if the service works there's no reason not to sign up for 18 months. My monthly charge is added to my phone account, but if you don't want to do it that way you can have a pay as you go version - T-Mobile charges £1 a day for that.

theDarkness 10:44 08 Jun 2008

Would prob be best to go for a contract rather than a quid a day if used alot, but i just dont see why they simply cant offer yearly contracts rather than 18 months or more. I am in gfx design so ill try and google a bit more to find out if companies have differing download limits with such a service, comparing overly large contracts :D to pay as you go! thanks

keverne 10:36 07 Nov 2008

My above post now looks out of context now that the FE has removed a spam posting from 3gboosterman.

birdface 11:39 07 Nov 2008

If you are A Virgin customer I understand that you can get it for as little as £5 a month Depending on what Bundles that you have with them.Details were on the PCA home page within the last week but can find no mention of it on Virgin home page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?