Best free editing software?

Thurrafork 19:10 09 Apr 2010

Hello all
Just wondering if there's any decent free video editing software out there?
In the past I've used Premiere and a little bit of Avid, but I'm not in that game anymore so have nothing proper installed, but I just need something now to put together a quick showreel.
I don't really want to use Windows Live Movie Maker because it seems a little dumbed down.
I'm on Windows 7 64bit.
What do you reckon folks?
Thanks.

Forum Editor 06:36 10 Apr 2010

where nothing you get for free is going to be that good, but you might want to click here and take a look at VideoSpin.

It will be fine for a quick showreel, but don't expect too much of it.

Snec 11:58 10 Apr 2010

Keep an eye on this site click here

They give away good commercial programs of all kinds. I have loads of video editing programs from them. You need to look every day so as not to miss anything.

Incidently, you need to install the programs exactly in the way you are informed and sometimes the method is different. I mention this because I often see people complaining that the version installed is not a full program but is a trial version. That is never true. The problem some people have is because they do not follow the instructions precisely.

There is something today that may be of interest to you.

Thurrafork 12:01 10 Apr 2010

Thanks very much
I'll have a look at VideoSpin a bit later when I have time, though I must say having used Pinnacle Studio in the past - a ghastly experience - I'm now a little wary of their software. I'm always surprised to be reminded they're actually a division of Avid!
But you're right, if I'm looking for free then I should stop using full priced software as points of comparison!
I'll definitely have a look, thanks!

Anyone else got any recommendations with which to chime in? :)

Thurrafork 12:08 10 Apr 2010

Thanks Snec

Yeah, that's a great site, been visting it on and off for about a year now, and with my present search I'm checking it everyday!
Todays offer is a video converter. I'm sure it has some basic editing functionality, but I'd prefer something a little more dedicated.
But again, perhaps its unrealistic to be hoping that a reasonably comprehensive editing package can be found for free!

Thanks though!

I am Spartacus 12:33 10 Apr 2010

'Any Video Converter' is basic but surprisingly good with limited editing features. The number of file formats it can convert is pretty impressive. I occasionally use it in preference to Premiere Elements.

click here

Technocrate 12:27 12 Apr 2010

Microsoft Movie Maker, Avid FreeDV, Wax, Zwei-Stein are the best video editing software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017