best chairs for sitting at pc

johnnyrocker 09:44 13 Jan 2004

any suggestions as to the best type/supplier of a chair for use at pc (needs to be comfy/good as i spend a lot of time at pc)

cheers.

johnny.

Sir Radfordin 09:59 13 Jan 2004

Largely depends on how much you can afford to spend. You can find chairs that cost a fortune (£1000+) or a little bit less.

Viking-Direct click here is a good place to start looking.

Arms are a personal preference though I have a feeling you aren't supposed to have them if you do lots of typing.

I've got a nice high back leather one that does the job for me. No doubt slowly killing my back but has comfort for now!

Jester2K 10:04 13 Jan 2004

I tried one of these "kneeling chairs" click here for an hour or so once. Surprisingly comfortable - but not sure about long term...

Stuartli 10:07 13 Jan 2004

You need a straightforward chair which is adjustable for height so that your feet are flat on the floor whilst, at the same time, your back is properly supported by the back rest.

Personally I find that having chair arms is a real nuisance as they can inhibit you whilst typing.

Another point is to try and get a chair with a five-point base - it's very easy for the three-point base chairs to tip over if you lean down to pick something up.

jerichobob 12:38 13 Jan 2004

Good answers all. If you have an Office World or an IKEA nearby then go and sit on a few of them too. Arms look good but get in the way when typing.

Stuartli 14:18 13 Jan 2004

One other point is not to be tempted by too soft a seat cushion base - a firmer one is preferable.

johnnyrocker 14:23 13 Jan 2004

i have both near me so i guess i know where i will be tomorrow.
thanks a lot folks.
cheers
johnny

Effie 14:36 13 Jan 2004

You might also like to check out the AbilityNet website before you go buying to check out their information on how to choose a chair suitable to your needs.

Also Which magazine did a test on Kneeling Chairs a few years ago which might be worth looking at. I use one of these for computer work, but you need to take breaks regularly (10-15 minutes) as well as possably adjust the level of your keyboard as I have had to.

Good Luck1

terminus 14:48 13 Jan 2004

In addition, I found one of those adjustable footrests very comfortable they're about £8.00 PCW.

Forum Editor 15:59 13 Jan 2004

and I can't add much, except:-

1. Make sure you set the seat height so that if possible you can look straight at your monitor, rather looking slightly down, or slightly up.

2. A high back is infintely preferable to a low one, in that it supports you around the shoulders, which leads to far less stress over time.

Belatucadrus 16:00 13 Jan 2004

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?