Best In-car laptop chargers

AndreaS36 12:52 31 Mar 2015

Hi there

I'm going on holiday in my camper van and am looking for the best means to charge my Lenovo laptop and Nokia mobile phone.

I would prefer a solar charger (particularly if there is on with a panel that fits on the dashboard) but a cigarette lighter version would do.

Any advice/tips?

AndreaS36 08:51 01 Apr 2015

Thanks - what is an inverter and what does it do?

wee eddie 09:44 01 Apr 2015

I drive a Taxi and, because of the booking system I use, it has to be plugged into the cigarette lighter permanently.

Those chargers are as cheap as chips. Almost any Garage or Supermarket will sell you one. The last one I got off eBay was overheating so I stick to Tesco now.

Forum Editor 10:33 01 Apr 2015

If you want a solar charger, this is the one to go for

Otherwise an inverter would be the way to go, as ßeta suggests.

onthelimit1 11:14 01 Apr 2015

I use the cheap DC adaptors, mentioned by wee eddie, that take 12V and convert it to the 5V used by all USB devices. - I don't quite see the point of changing DC to 240v AC and then back again. Perhaps someone will enlighten me!

onthelimit1 08:50 02 Apr 2015

Beta. Yes, of course. I missed the laptop charger bit, so inverter is the way to go.

caccy 13:41 04 Apr 2015

We have a small motor caravan, with only the vehicle battery for power and use an inverter to run a laptop, which doubles up as a TV, when we are an non-electric sites.

Ours is a 120/150 watt from Maplin.

As the amount of battery drain can be considerable ,up to 11 amps, I would also suggest that you use a battery level meter just to make sure you do not discharge your battery too far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?