Best blueray laptop! Acer or Medion please help

cj54 13:23 25 Mar 2010

Have decided to splash out on a laptop but can not decide which one is best out of the Medion Akoya P8610 Blu-Ray 18.4in or ACER ASPIRE 8930 GEMSTONE BLUE 18.4IN will be using it for general pc work and some game play.
Any advice would be most welcome, many thanks.

ame 16:04 25 Mar 2010

You'd be better to give links to the actual machines on the websites you'd be buying from, to ensure specs are clear. Also, what games are to be played - most games need good graphics card, but some also work better with faster CPU and good RAM.

LinH 19:08 25 Mar 2010

I'd certainly recommend the Acer 8930, I bought one several months ago and it does everything it says on the tin. You must, however, treat it as a replacement desktop as opposed to a notebook as it is a big machine.

Blu-ray films look good on the 18.4ins display but sound is only adequate. Otherwise I have no complaints whatsoever. I have the 2ghz processor version which, because of this and the integrated graphice, I don't think will cope with modern games very well. I think you will need to look at the versions that have the higher processor spec. for gaming.

A tip: if you get one don't dispense with the Acer media player Arcade Deluxe as it has a BluRay codec and will therefore play BluRay discs. Other players, including Windows Media Centre, don't so you will have to buy one!

All in all I'm very happy with my Acer 8930, and, unlike a desktop, it is sort of portable if needs must.

Hope the above helps.

LinH

ame 11:40 26 Mar 2010

You have just demonstrated my point. Different retailers often sell similar models but with different specs., which makes it difficult and time-consuming to give recommendations.
cj54 - this site click here will help you compare CPU's, graphics cards, games performance, etc if necessary.

cj54 13:13 26 Mar 2010

thanks for tips , both machines are from argos and are both £750, so after sales service is very important too

ame 14:19 26 Mar 2010

Medion now £700 click here Acer slightly lower spec click here (slower cpu, smaller disk, no e-sata but does have bluetooth and slightly better battery life.)Both out of stock. Difficult decision - not much in it. Suspect Acer might be a bit safer on the reliability/warranty/service front but Medion better price/spec. I'd go for the Acer but the choice, as they say, is yours....

LinH 18:44 26 Mar 2010

ame

I take your point and yes, you need to do quite a lot of research before purchasing. But as you say, in the final analysis only cj54 can make the final decision.

LinH

john810 03:41 29 Mar 2010

MTS Converter click here is designed to convert mts and convert it to various videoa and audio formats. Just have a try with the powerful mts file converter, convert mts can be done perfectly!
<a href="click here">Convert MTS to MPEG</a>

niuniu2012 03:48 22 Feb 2011

I have the free version of TVersity as the media server software on my Windows 7 PC, and a PayStation 3 hooked to Samsung HDTV. I am happy to know that the videos could be streamed from PC over Ethernet to watching on a HDTV. However, when I would like watch the AVCHD .m2ts files, which are recorded by my new Sony HDR-CX110, I could not AVCHD video (.mts files) using Tversity, as the .m2ts files does not show up on Tversity.

After googling, I got to know that the supposed supported formats by TVersity include WMV, AVI, MOV, RMVB, FLAC, FLV, MKV,MPG, but the native support to AVCHD is not stable. I was recommended to convert AVCHD .m2ts files to WMV or MOV for streaming from TVersity to PS3 for HDTV.

iCoolsoft <a href="click here">MTS Converter</a> is the recommended tool to make the Sony HDR-CX110 HD videos compatible with TVersity.

HondaMan 15:01 22 Feb 2011

I can't speak for the computers you list, but I have an Acer8935G. I cannot fault it, nor Acer's support. My illuminated keyboard failed, they arranged collection and it was back with me within 5 days. I have since added a second internal 500GB HDD. The screen is HD and it has a blu-ray player. Go for the Acer I say.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017