Best antivirus for XP?

VNAM75 21:02 20 Apr 2009

I've had problems with mcafee, avg and avast but have found avira to be very stable, efffective (so far) and not very resource intensive. These are all the free versions apart from mcafee.

tullie 22:15 20 Apr 2009

Avast is fine

SimpleSimon1 22:19 20 Apr 2009

Just switched to Avira 9 (free) from ZA, on XP SP3 - so far so good since combines anti-vir and anti-spyware. Seems to be stable, pretty light on resource requirements and plays nice with Online Armour firewall.

Make sure that Avira scheduling agent prog(s) have maximum access in firewall otherwise might have problems with auto-updating.

birdface 09:20 21 Apr 2009

Avast is fine as long as you don't have to do a full scan which can take up to 3-4 hours.Also if it finds a problem it will stop scanning until you decide what to do with it.
So not much use if you decide to run it while you go shopping.
As you are using Avira probably better staying with it.
Best pay for A/V is Nod32.

RobCharles1981 10:37 21 Apr 2009

I think I'm going to change from Avast to Avira, but can you buy NOD32 online?

SimpleSimon1 10:52 21 Apr 2009

>Also if it finds a problem it will stop scanning
>until you decide what to do with it.
>So not much use if you decide to run it while you
>go shopping.

Avira 8 also used to do this and I can imagine it would be a right royal pain in the fundament. Fortunately, they changed the behaviour in AV9 and it now does unattended scans and report all problems at the end.

VNAM75 15:07 21 Apr 2009

I decided to reinstall XP after I had problems with changing anti virus. Avast and AVG did not work properly before and after reinstall. There was a recommendation for Avira 9 so I tried it and its very good. It only takes up about 12mb of system ram at idle compared to 50-90mb with mcafee.

DieSse 19:37 22 Apr 2009

"but can you buy NOD32 online?"

Of course

click here

The eset Security Suite is best - fit it and forget it. Works like a dream.

Only a tad extra for multiple systems - and save more for multiple years.

I bought for 3 years, and I don't even think about it any more ('til the next three years rolls around this Oct!!).

Stuartli 11:07 23 Apr 2009

Avast! has worked well for me for some years and has the benefit of automatically updating.

Devil Fish 22:03 24 Apr 2009

i swear by avira used to use avg then tried avira on apca cover disk trial never gone back

you can get a free edition and so far i have found it to be teenager proof ie its picked up every little indiscression

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017