Best alternative to the Cannon range of printers?

Rolopuss 13:49 04 Jun 2010

Hi all, Newbie here!

Like other posters here I thought I'd done my homework thoroughly when looking for a new printer and settled on the MP990 - UNTIL I ran the model through google and found this forum (groan!).

I've now decided to purchase a scanner separately but need to find an alternative good quality pritner for home use: some photo printing, CD printing, document printing (b/w+col). Spread over weeks or monthe the use would be 'light-ish'/occassional. Budget: £400.00 max.

Not now considering an all-in-one 'cos don't want all my printing/copying/scanning eggs in one basket!

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks.

sunnystaines 15:12 04 Jun 2010

i have always liked the hp range, found more reliable than some other makes.

961 16:05 04 Jun 2010

HP range is best, for quality of output and economy of use, as the print heads are in the cartridges and do not need elaborate never ending cleaning programmes

No need to spend anything like £400

Macscouse 22:09 05 Jun 2010

I have an HP Photosmart C8180 all-in-one, which has a built in CD burner with lightscribe, and a built-in slide and negative scanner for the old photos. It is wifi and bluetooth, and has individual cartridges for the different colours. Fairly quiet. Very happy with it.

Forum Editor 23:54 05 Jun 2010

and I'm very happy with it.

For some reason I don't print nearly as much these days, compared with a few years ago.

jack 10:29 06 Jun 2010

All in one or separates.
Like Audio/Hi-Fi/TV with built in players
Separate dedicated units tend to have higher spec's [Transparency/ negative copying for example]cost more of course - but if one item goes down you are not totally out of action.
Allinones offer smaller footprint, Off computer copying and printing.
As for brands - as they all in fierce competition the specs and prices change almost weekly- Marketing by confusion I think the term is.
So look at your wallet and the space available and your likely needs and go for the machine[s] you fall in love with.

Rolopuss 10:48 06 Jun 2010

Thanks for all the replies on my post, will be doing my homework today!

spuds 16:00 06 Jun 2010

Before making a purchase, check the ink cartridge details and see what the prices are like, because this is one of the major drawbacks with printers nowadays. And don't just check one supplier, because there can be a difference in pricing with the competition.

I own a number of different make printers, mainly all-in-ones, and wouldn't use anything else now. Name wise I have HP, Lexmark,Dell (re-badged Lexmark),Canon, Epson, Brother and a Samsung ML-4500 laser. All have served their purpose well, including a very old HP OfficeJet 690.

Regarding support and service, HP were very good, but for some reason they now seem to be dragging their feet with regards to problems. Epson use 'local agents', and prices can vary with these outlets. Not all charge the same price, for the same job. My latest purchase was a Brother DCP-135C from Rymans, who at the time was offering an extended 3 year warranty for free. Great printer and does what it should do. I have been able to source compatible cartridges for this printer for less than 60pence each with virtual next day delivery. I have also purchased a CISS for this printer, but conversion is slightly different to what the instruction book states, nothing major though.

So what is my choice, well the answer is very difficult, because all have done what I have asked from them at a very budget price.Perhaps the Brother DCP-135C is the one I favour most at this point of time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache