BBC bless them

gaslamp 15:58 13 Oct 2009

I just forked out for a TV licence for my computer. Didn't even know I needed one. DAZED

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:13 13 Oct 2009

click here explains it and websires like TV Catchup click here which broadcasts all the channels 5 minutes after they are shown, are a debatable way of getting round this.

G

gaslamp 16:30 13 Oct 2009

It is so unfair for the BBC to broadcast on the internet therefore forcing people who have no TV like me to pay for something i don't watch or need even though i can. How can I opt out? I need my computer !!

Mr Brown and Mr Cameron You are turning society into a rebelious mass. You are heading for serious trouble. I will recoup my money in the future by foul or fair methods.

Stuartli 18:24 13 Oct 2009

It might be wise to first obtain the correct facts before rushing into making such rash statements.

Stuartli 18:25 13 Oct 2009

If you already have a TV licence, it will cover you for any analogue and/or Freeview or satellite PCI or USB TV tuner.

gaslamp 19:30 13 Oct 2009

The fact is simple...(censored). I am being charged for a service I haven't asked for.

Where would we be if every online business demanded a fee like the BBC are allowed to. I need the choice to opt out.

Go away

Kevscar1 19:50 13 Oct 2009

Well I never asked for the BBC so why do I have to pay.

Stuartli 19:54 13 Oct 2009

In exactly which way?

If you don't have the service you don't need to pay.

Stuartli 19:57 13 Oct 2009

The TV licence also includes the right to receive television transmissions from whatever the source, not just the BBC.

That includes Sky, Virgin etc.

The TV licence is collected by TV Licensing on behalf of the government, which decides just how much of the TV licence income the BBC receives.

morddwyd 20:07 13 Oct 2009

You don't need a tv licence for a computer, unless, of, course, you have a tv card fitted, which makes it a tv receiver.

If you don't drive a car you don't need a licence; if you don't have a tv receiver, you don't need a licence

Stuartli 21:29 13 Oct 2009

If you already have a TV licence, it covers all equipment used in your property (including computer related) as I stated earlier.

It's when people DON'T have a TV licence that suspicions arise at TV Licensing - virtually 100 per cent of the population has a TV...:-)

gaslamp would appear to be admitting that he/she uses his/her computer for viewing TV as he/she has bought a licence.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?