Battery in laptop or take it out?

Petulant 14:18 04 Mar 2007

I have recently lost my laptop to an premature death which I am told was caused by leaving my battery in it. I always used it at home and with electric.

Now I have a new one and want to look after it to avoid history repeating so should I keep the battery in or out. The paperwork advises leaving it in. Techies have advised taking it out.

So I am confused!!

terryf 14:23 04 Mar 2007

Don't understand the 'techie' suggestion, laptops are made to work off battery which you would charge up as needed.

Petulant 14:40 04 Mar 2007

I gave the laptop to a guy who repairs them for a living who declared it a hopeless case and mentioned the battery.

Another guy who is a neighbour of my mum works repairing pc's for schools full time and also put the blame on the battery!

Then I bought a new laptop over here in Turkey and the man who came to set up my wireless broadband who also repairs pc's for a living expressed surprise I had the battery in when I was using it via electric and advised me to take it out.

I don't understand the whys but feel annoyed that if this is so important why wasn't I advised by Packard Bell with my previous laptop?

spuds 15:00 04 Mar 2007

The only time that I would suggest removing a battery, if there are possibilities of long term non-usage.

While in regular use, the battery must be left in-situ for charging etc if an exterior electric source is being used.

Dipso 15:15 04 Mar 2007

I remove mine as I don't use it on battery very often. If I do use it I make sure it is fully discharged then fully charge it up before removing it storing it again. It's 2 years old and I still get a decent life out of it.

All I can say is this works for me.

Spark6 15:26 04 Mar 2007

I disagree. Any battery will fare better if it is charged and discharged on a fairly regularly basis.

The advice given to me re a laptop used mainly at home with the charger connected has been to remove the battery fully charged, use the laptop on the mains supply for a week or so, then refit the battery and use the laptop until the battery is discharged. Connect the charger and use until the battery is fully charged then remove the battery again. Failure to follow this procedure means that the user is never aware of the true condition of the battery.

Sound familiar Petulant?

Forum Editor 15:28 04 Mar 2007

with a Lithium-ion battery is to keep it at a raised temperature when it's fully charged, and that's exactly what you're doing if you constantly use your laptop on the mains adapter.

If you use a laptop constantly on manis power the battery is only likely to last about 18 months. It won't fail suddenly, it will be a slow and gradual process. This is what you should do to prolong the life of your battery:-

1. Avoid frequent full discharge, as this will harm Lithium-ion batteries. They have no 'memory', and will do better on frequent partial charges, rather than one full charging session.

2. Fully discharge the battery once every 30 charges or so. If you don't do this the battery charge indicator will start giving false readings, and you may find your laptop cutting off when you least expected it.

3. Keep the battery cool. If you're going to leave it unused for a long time, charge it to 40% and leave it like that.

4. Take the battery out if you're going to use the mains power for prolonged periods. Laptop makers sometimes issue warnings about empty battery compartments being traps for dust and/or moisture, but that's not something I worry about. If you do take the battery out it's as well to remember that you'll lose any unsaved work if there's a power cut.

5. Don't buy a new battery and keep, it for future use. Buy new batteries only when you actually need them, and make sure you check the date on the battery case to ensure it hasn't been in stock for a year.

6. If you do have a spare battery, charge it to 40% and keep it in a sealed plastic bag in the fridge. Make sure it's bone dry before you put it in the laptop.

Petulant 15:35 04 Mar 2007

Thanks for all replies.

I have surge protector unit in case of power cuts as they are common here in Turkey.

I feel less confused now - cheers!

wjrt 16:45 04 Mar 2007
  Jackcoms 16:48 04 Mar 2007

"I have surge protector unit in case of power cuts"

Surge protection units don't protect you against power cuts, only a battery or UPS can do that.

Surge protectors protect against sudden surges or fluctuations in electrical current/supply

karmgord 20:02 04 Mar 2007

i wish i had read this sooner, i have been cycling (full charge/discharge) my new sat nav in the mistaken belief it would condition & improve battery life,i guess i was confusing my lithion ion battery with a nickle hydride battery

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?