Basic Laptop for 80 year old beginners

simon 101 20:45 07 Dec 2008

Hi, I'm trying to workout what laptop to get for a couple that are around the 80 mark. It needs nothing on it apart from the the ability to go online. The easier to use the better.Any help would be great.

The Brigadier 22:21 07 Dec 2008

Go to Staples as they are having a sale on.
Just get a basic cheap laptop for under £350.

flycatcher1 22:55 07 Dec 2008

We have been here before. If eyes are a problem get a 17" Screen and a Mouse will be a help.
Age is not a problem its attitude wot counts !
Good Luck.

FatboySlim71 23:54 07 Dec 2008

I agree just a plain and nothing too fancy or complicated laptop will suffice.

Just make sure some salesperson doesn't try to sell something that is way more than they would need for their uses. I have witnessed this on more than one occasion in a big nationwide shop, I can remember hearing and seeing a salesperson trying to sell an elderly couple a fancy desktop PC when they had already said what they were wanting to do on it, which in their case was to send emails to their daughter and to surf the Internet, when the salesperson went to get something, I mentioned to the elderly couple that the salesperson was trying to get them to buy something way more than what they would need, I helped them pick one out that was just a basic desktop PC that would be adequate for their uses, and in doing this saved the couple around £250.

Snec 11:55 08 Dec 2008

I find laptops to be the most incommodius of gadgets. I don't think they would be a good thing for an 80 year old beginner, at all.

birdface 12:31 08 Dec 2008

I agree with Snec.They can be a bit complicated.If you get one it would be better with a separate Mouse as Touchpads are a bit complicated and require a gentle touch.I would also get one With XP and not Vista.

The Brigadier 14:26 08 Dec 2008

I recently set up a new laptop for a 73 year old family friend.
External mouse was the answer as was an External keyboard.
Big 17" widescreen laptop was bought.
And all has gone fine.

Stuartli 15:49 08 Dec 2008

As I've mentioned before, I got a Mesh desktop system for a then 82-year-old friend four years ago - she took to computing like a duck to water and that includes areas such as digital photography.

kidsis 15:54 08 Dec 2008

only thing I haven't seen mentioned is anti virus and firewall, might be as well if you can help them with this. There are free programs that many find adequate for them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?