Basic Gaming PC

cafc1962 10:08 09 Jan 2006

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade by childrens PC as they tend to use it just for gaming - Grand Theft Auto, The Sims 2, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 etc. The current basic system struggles with these games so could anybody please recommend a minimum motherboard, processor, memory (currently 512k) and graphics requirement. I want to keep the cost down to about £200-250 if that's possible. any help appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

flyingbrit 10:46 09 Jan 2006

Upgrading your system all depends on what you've already got. It could be you only need a graphic card. Please list the components you have in your system now, then I'm sure someone will be able to advise you.

PaulB2005 14:08 09 Jan 2006

childrens PC + Grand Theft Auto?

an 18 certificate game on a childrens PC?

De Marcus™ 15:29 09 Jan 2006

Providing your aware of the 18 certificate the specs required for gta: san andreas are as follows:

GTA:SA Required Operating System

Windows XP (plus Service Pack 1 or higher) plus DirectX9
Windows 2000 Professional (Workstation) (plus Service Pack 1 or higher) plus DirectX9

Recommended Hardware Requirements for GTA: SA

Intel CPU Pentium 4 or Athlon XP Processor (or better)
384+ MB RAM
128+MB Video Card with DirectX 9 compatible drivers (GeForce 6 Series Recommended)
4.7 GB of free Hard Disk space for full install
16 speed DVD-ROM Drive
DirectX 9 compatible Surround Sound Card (Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Series recommended)
Game pad with twin axis analog controls (USB or Joystick Port)
Keyboard
Mouse

Minimum Hardware Requirements for GTA: SA

1GHz Intel Pentium III CPU or Athlon Processor
256 MB RAM
64MB Video Card with DirectX 9 compatible drivers (GeForce3 or better)
8 speed DVD-ROM Drive
3.6 GB of free Hard Disk space for minimal install
DirectX 9 compatible Stereo Sound
Keyboard
Mouse

flyingbrit 18:53 09 Jan 2006

Don't get all politically correct, it's not upto you, me, or anyone else what his kids play, that's upto him. The 18 cert is a guide line, and that's all, Mike has asked a question now wouldn't it be nice if someone could at least try to answer it instead of imposing their own values onto him

PaulB2005 19:19 09 Jan 2006

It's legally enforceable I'm afraid. Parents can be sued for supplying 18 certificate material to minors as can shops.

Nothing to do with values or morals. It's the law.

hzhzhz 20:13 09 Jan 2006

I have to side with De Marcus™ here. I have been through GTA-SA and it contains Graphic violence, bad language and sexual references. Without sounding too "politically correct" or even too "perfect", I dont think this game is suitable for young children. Its a brilliant game though and for persons able to distinguish between make believe and reality, its hilarious.

flyingbrit 23:00 09 Jan 2006

you show me where it says that if a 15 year old plays an 18 rated game the parents of said 15 year old could be prosecuted.

Cybermaxx 23:19 09 Jan 2006

Yeah, list your PC's Spec.! Chances are, all you need is another 512MB of RAM (£25-ish)and a new graphics card (£100 for a nVidia 6600GT).

By GTA, I assume you mean the newer, 3D games. A 6600GT can cope with the latest one (San Andreas) well enough.

PaulB2005 08:55 10 Jan 2006

click here

"Parents perceive age ratings as a guide but not as a definite prohibition," said Jurgen Freund, Modulum chief executive.

I can't find anything that confirms that parents of a monir playing 18 certificate games will get prosecuted but shops suplying minors with games will so why not parents?

However it's definately not "..a guide line, and that's all..."

See also click here

De Marcus™ 09:26 10 Jan 2006

Just so we are clear, I wasn't judging anyone or imposing my personal values when I posted my previous response, I gave the min and recommended specs for the game with a word about the age limit should cafc1962 not have been aware of it. Whether cafc1962 chooses to let the his/her children play the game is entirley up to him/her, bothers me none.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?