Barclaycard "Authorised" transactions on statement

Sapins 10:50 13 Jun 2015

Anyone have a Barclaycard and who has had any Authorised Transactions appearing which you know you have not made?

I had great difficulty finding out from Barclaycard who has made these "Athorised" transactions, I have been shunted around by their call centre, in India, I presume, they finally told me that the transaction in question was made by a supermarket in France, where I live, and had shopped on the same day but not for the amount they claimed. They also said that the "authorised" transaction was for £100 and the "Fraud team had spotted this, but, they did not remove it from the authorised transactions! The worst part was they said my card had been compromised so they cancelled it and sent me a new one, which took a week to arrive.

There is a lot more to this saga and I don't wish to bore people but I am interested to see if anyone else has suffered this.

As I am not at all satisfied with their explanation of events I am going to write to Barclaycard Head Office, If I can find the address!

HondaMan 10:58 13 Jun 2015

You have been defrauded. Write to barclaycard and raise a formal dispute. I was also subject to this some years ago at a petrol station. I did eventually get my money back, but the CCC were reluctant.

Sapins 11:12 13 Jun 2015

Hello HondaMan, I haven't been defrauded as such as this amount did not appear in my statement, so was not paid. I have received no explanation as to how this payment appeared as "authorised". The problem is I have to wait to see if it shows up on my statement then I have to contact them again to sort it out and probably have to wait for a new card. I thought it was this supermarket only but yesterday another supermarket appears to have done the same thing.

I have used another card at the same supermarket with no problem at all, mind you it is only Barclaycard who show authorised transactions!

Maybe head office can enlighten me when I contact them. Thanks for you reply.

AroundAgain 12:12 13 Jun 2015

I had a similar experience recently whereby Barclaycard got in touch with me to check on two payments which they thought could be fraudulent. One transaction was £50 and another was £60, both to Vodaphone (which I've never used).

They sent me some forms, cancelled my card and sent out a new one. These transactions showed on my statement, as they said they would, but also showed they had beern credited.

They have a procedure they follow but, I felt, they were good to have picked up this fraudulent stuff, to be honest. Currently, all is well :)

Forum Editor 14:30 13 Jun 2015

I haven't been defrauded as such as this amount did not appear in my statement, so was not paid. I have received no explanation as to how this payment appeared as "authorised".

If it didn't appear on a statement, where did you see it?

tullie 14:52 13 Jun 2015

Good point FE

bumpkin 16:06 13 Jun 2015

Far too many out to cheat everyone these days. Mainly foreigners it seems but not exclusively. I had an AMEX card in the past but rarely used it as a lot of places would not accept it. I bought some petrol with it one one occasion and they phoned me a few days later asking me if I had authorised a payment of around £4500.00 to Hi Tech shops and another garage. I had not of course so said so and was told that it had been picked up by their computers as inconsistent with my normal use. I was charged nothing and their customer service was excellent but after that incident I never used it again. I am rambling on now I know but how did it occur in the first place.

Pine Man 17:07 13 Jun 2015

If it didn't appear on a statement, where did you see it?

All of my credit cards can be managed online. If I go to any of them I can see recent transactions. If I look further I can also access 'authorised transactions that have not been billed yet'.

That, I would suggest how Sapins was able to see it.

I have had one of my CCs cloned twice. It's just one of the risks of using them and on both occasions my card company did exactly as they should and stopped the card and issued a new one. I recently heard from the same card company who had received intelligence to the effect that a number of cards were at risk, mine being one, and they issued new cards immediately.

Excellent service.

morddwyd 19:15 13 Jun 2015

Not sure what the problem is.

Your credit card company believes your card has been compromised (and they have far more experience in spotting this than you have) and they have cancelled it before any fraud could take place.

Good for them. They are looking after you.

bumpkin 20:13 13 Jun 2015

Good for them. They are looking after you.

They are looking after themselves as they are responsible for fraud not the card holder. You would get no help at all if it were down to you.

Forum Editor 08:34 14 Jun 2015

You would get no help at all if it were down to you.

Well no, because it would be your fault, wouldn't it? Credit card companies are businesses, not charities.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?