Bad experience with custom pc - any advice?

Iluaf 20:50 12 Nov 2008

Hi,
We recently purchased a custom built pc on line. it wasn't cheap, but a fair price. I paid using paypal. I was told it was shipped & when it arrived 10days later with minimal packaging by Royal Mail, I was pretty horrified. I would never send anything of such value in parcel post - not even a signature needed!

We opened it up, looked fine, but didn't work. A weeks worth of emails back & forth, even with us emailing photos & the person saying it is obviously something simple yada yada.

So today, they tell me to return it, by parcel post! I am told I will have to pay postage and any insurance, if I want it. I am told they 'may' refund postage depending what is wrong with it.

My gut is that the guy will either say it a never arrived or b was damaged in the post. Grrrr. So my lovely other half has offered to drive the three hours there and three hours back to physically take it, pray the guy can repair it on the spot and bring it safely home, but if the guy can't rtepair it on the spot, I want a refund, as I know he will post the damn thing back.

I'm not happy and I'm frustrated. I just wondered what your thoughts were and if anyone knows what rights we have as a consumer.

Thanks for listening,

iluaf

spuds 23:35 12 Nov 2008
  Forum Editor 00:45 13 Nov 2008

is covered by the Distance selling regulations, and you are well-protected. The fact that this machine was sent via Royal Mail is not a worry in itself - goods sent to fulfil an order are at the sender's risk until delivered.

It's obviously up to you and your other half to decide whether or not he/she drives the machine back to the supplier. It would certainly resolve the safe delivery issue, but there's no guarantee the seller will be able to fix the problem on the spot.

Iluaf 20:40 13 Nov 2008

thanks for your input. we contacted trading standards & have asked for a refund & said we expect the seller to arrange collection.

I don't think this is going to be easy, but I am prepared for the battle!

res!stance D()g 09:55 14 Nov 2008

Anyone else think this might be deja vu. Iluaf this would not happen to be a company based in Nottingham would it ?.

Iluaf 12:10 14 Nov 2008

No it isn't...Once this is all sorted tho I will tell you who it is...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?