Backup Programs - which one?

Anti_Virus 17:53 09 Jun 2008

Hi.

Twice I have had to deal with data loss. The second time was very costly, and I was so angry with myself for not learning from the first time. So I vowed that I would start to back up regularly to prevent it happening again. Having got myself an external drive, I am now in the market for a program to backup my PC. I'm looking for one that will be able to take a full image of the hard drive, as well as regularly backing up my documents and settings on my XP machine. I need it to save the backups to the external drive, and for it to have minimum impact on the performance of the PC. I hope my list isn't too much to ask for, but can anyone recommend a program that does all these, and does them well? Thanks.

Anti_Virus 17:59 09 Jun 2008

As data loss has proved so costly to me in the past, I don't really mind if the software you recommend might be pricier than others. I want to hear of any that come highly recommended.

AlanHo 18:22 09 Jun 2008

Acronis True Image is my favourite.

aine 19:36 09 Jun 2008

And mine,very good program

Pine Man 19:59 09 Jun 2008

No contest, tried them all - Acronis!

Totally-braindead 21:36 09 Jun 2008

Acronis True Image as well, the cheapest place to get it is probably Amazon.co.uk its about £20 or so I think.
There are some free programs but I think Acronis is better than all the rest and lets face it, its not a lot of money and is easy to use.

€dstowe 22:08 09 Jun 2008

Acronis. Easy to use and best of all, it works.

Make sure you read the instructions and prepare a boot disk before using for real.

!!!!Keep the boot disk in a safe place!!!!

Anti_Virus 11:51 10 Jun 2008

Hi. Thanks for all your replies. It doesn't take a genius to work out that Acronis is obviously very highly recommended on here. So, after a unanamous decison that Acronis True Image is the best program, and will tick all the right boxes, I ordered it last night. So thanks everybody. I'll mark this as solved. Oh, and €dstowe, I'll be sure to do that and make a boot disc and keep it safe. Thanks.

Rob_08 13:34 10 Jun 2008

You wont regret it. Its a fabulous piece of software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone