AVG 7.5 updates

natdoor 17:25 08 May 2009

I have been away for a few days and, on my return home, AVG (7.5) was indicating that my virus database is out of date, as expected. I have made a couple af attempts at updating the database but get a message to say that it is fully up to date. This I find surprising because updates are usually available every couple of days.

I wonder if this is in some way a forerunner of the final termination of support for 7.5 which has been been suggested would take place on several dates earlier this year. Or has the creation of new viruses come to a halt for the time being? Perhaps I should switch to Avast. This PC is on 98SE, by the way.

john bunyan 17:42 08 May 2009

I also have AVG 7.5 on an old Win 98SE laptop.I am intersted in your conclusions - I think, but am not sure, Avast works on 98SE.

Kevscar1 18:24 08 May 2009

AVG is up to 8. something. Suggest you download the latest one

john bunyan 18:26 08 May 2009

AVG 8 does not work with Win 98SE.

Kevscar1 22:48 08 May 2009

Then he's stuffed, support finished 30th Apr

natdoor 08:57 09 May 2009

I was aware that support was due to end but did not expect to get a message saying that the database is up to date and the system is fully protected. It would be more helpful if it stated that support had terminated and the PC is at risk.

I had also expected that, because of the general interest in AVG, a thread would have been started about the termination. I searched the forums before posting and found nothing. I will look on the grisoft site and AVG forums to see what they say.

anchor 09:04 09 May 2009

I changed from AVG 7.5 to Avast about a month ago, when the end of updates was announced. I had tried v8 previously and found problems on my XP machine.

I am pleased with Avast and can recommend it.

john bunyan 09:12 09 May 2009

See here:click here
This was mentioned here. Think I will go to Avast on the W98 SE Laptop.

natdoor 18:09 09 May 2009

I found a reference to AVG 7.5 updates ceasing on 30/4 on an AVG forum. I have now uninstalled AVG and installed Avast. I hope to be as satisfied as anchor is.

Thanks to all for your inputs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?