Autoglass ....

Clapton is God 09:35 09 May 2009

.... the windscreen repair people have an excellent radio advert which warns you against ignoring chips in your windscreen in case they develop into cracks or worse.

Having acquired a couple of small windscreen chips in my line of sight, I duly phoned Autoglass at 8:45 on Wednesday morning.

I explained that they were very small chips but, nevertheless, would appreciate an opinion from Autoglass as to whether or not they could be repaired.

Their operator agreed to have the local depot phone me that morning to discuss.

At 4pm the same day I called back asking why I hadn't yet heard from anybody.

Apologies were offered and they promised that someone would call before 5pm (both me and my car were at my office).

At 9am yesterday (Friday) I had a look at my motor insurance policy and found that my insurers recommended National Windscreens for glass repair. I duly phoned them and 10 minutes later their local depot phoned back and agreed to look at my windscreen the same afternoon.

At 1pm I received a call from National Windscreens who said “we’re in your office car park inspecting your windscreen now!”.

I duly went out to join them and, as I suspected, the chips were too small to repair.

Nevertheless, I thanked them for their time and they drove off (at no charge to me).

I’m still waiting to hear from Autoglass.

Forum Editor 11:45 09 May 2009

recently had a bad experience with Autoglass. They replaced his windscreen and left him with a broken rain sensor, which he says the repair man must have known about.

SB23 11:58 09 May 2009

I've used Autoglass on a number of occasions, and each time, they have returned my call when they said they would, the person has been polite, (both on the phone and the repairer), and the paperwork has been quick and easy.

PalaeoBill 13:34 09 May 2009

My wife had her windscreen replaced by Autoglass, the rain sensor was ok afterwards but the next time she tried to use the factory fitted SatNav (some weeks later) it had no signal. Apparently its a common occurrence with the heated windscreens. Had we know, we would have got the local dealership to do it.

Stuartli 18:40 09 May 2009

Whenever I've used Autoglass on the odd occasion over the years, the service has been quick, slick and very professional.

Such services all depend on the quality and ability of the staff employed at each depot, which is the case with any franchise no matter what type of service is on offer.

The Kestrel 21:58 09 May 2009

I've just had a mixed experience with Autoglass. Last week my windscreen was chipped so contacted Autoglass, who made an appointment for this Tuesday at 5pm. On Tuesday at 3.30pm, technician phones to say he can't do the repair as he finishers work at 4pm - a bit late in the day to tell me this! New appointment set for Friday at 3pm, but 'phoned on Friday at 11.30am to inform me that the technician's wife has gone into labour and so repair cannot be done - new appointment for Sunday (tomorrow) between 4 and 6pm.

Went to my local Morrisons this morning and low and behold Autoglass are there doing windscreen repairs in the car park. I talk to the guy there who contacts head office to get permission to carry out the repair and cancel Sunday appointment. 30 minutes later repair complete and so well done I find it very difficult to see where the chip was before the repair.

ened 16:17 10 May 2009

I'd like to know if anybody has had their windscreen repaired or if it is just a ploy to get them out.

I recently had a chip which appeared to match all the criteria for a repair. The van turned up with a new windscreen and promptly informed me it could not be repaired.

It didn't really bother me too much because it was all covered by the insurance but it would be interesting to know if they really do repair chips.

I forget the specifics but the damage to my windscreen was well within the parameters they keep advertising.

The Kestrel 16:33 10 May 2009

Post script to my posting above. 15 minutes ago the Autoglass van turns up at my home. I explain to the technician that I had the repair completed yesterday and that his appointment should have been cancelled. He was not too pleased that due to lack of communication from HQ his time had been wasted.

ened, remember a chip repair is free with most insurers, but a windscreen replacement has an excess payable of £60 or £70 usually.

ened 16:43 10 May 2009

If I had read your first post properly I would have seen the answerr to my question.

But I still have a wry smile everytime I hear the ad.

I think I probably had one of their poorer operatives!

spuds 17:10 10 May 2009

A few weeks ago, I was at the local Asda superstore, and there was a rather large tent installed on the car park. Advertisements were offering free windscreen chip repairs. Spoke to the nice gentleman about a chip on my windscreen, and within a short time, windscreen repaired, paperwork done and all great fun.

In South America, it was the usual remedy for cracked or chipped windscreens to have a small indentation drilled at each end of the crack, so as to stop the crack from expanding further. Seemed to work very well, considering the amount of cars and other vehicles that were using that 'approved' method.

Clapton is God 09:33 12 May 2009

I'll green tick this thread.

However ....

I'm still waiting to hear from Autoglass. ;-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017