Athlon 64 based PC

noclue 03:40 10 Mar 2004

I noted the latest PC Advisor Poll in regards purchasing an Athlon 64 based PC. I must admit I find this a bit confusing because it effects your judgement on what to purchase when buying a new PC. What is everyones thoughts on the matter? By purchasing such a PC is it a future proofing purchase or just another fad?

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:09 10 Mar 2004

A Windows 95 computer will run Word just as efficiently as a 3200 XP.

Not wishing to be a Luddite but 'future-proofing' is merely a media/advertising term to extract more money from an unsuspecting public. Unless you are mad into gaming there is little need to worry about 'future-proofing'(and even then the benefits of 64bit are somewhat dubious) and as 64 bit is only useful for a large anmount of computers on a served network, it should not really bother you.

I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of computers are only used for office works, casual word-processing, emails and surfing the net, so 'future-proofing' is not a necessity

G

simonp1 07:48 10 Mar 2004

Well until all the software and hardware is able to run with the "64" i dont see the point. Plus in a few months time you will find out about all the bugs or floors with it..which will get fixed and in turn the price will have reduced by 30%. So like always i will wait until the price falls to a sane level.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?