Argos self pay point

jaraba 14:27 28 Jan 2010

Reserved & Bought multiples of same item which had a free gift advertised with it & paid for it at their instore self pay point.
Received the items but not the free gifts & had to point the offer out to them on the sale catalogue before I received them. Good job there was a sale catalogue handy.
Was subsequently informed that the reason for not getting the free items along with the purchases straight away was because I had paid at the instore self pay point.
Just something to keep in mind if you are shopping there.

Clapton is God 16:27 28 Jan 2010

"the reason for not getting the free items along with the purchases straight away was because I had paid at the instore self pay point"

How do you imagine the "self pay point" (which is presumably a machine) would have handed you the free items?

jaraba 16:35 28 Jan 2010

Obviously all items including free ones are dispensed at collection counter, but maybe you don't know that.

sunnystaines 16:37 28 Jan 2010

the helper that brings the items to the counter for collection should have picked up the free gifts?

interzone55 16:37 28 Jan 2010

The free gifts have their own catalogue numbers, usually priced at 1p, the linked item's price will be dropped by a penny.

When a sale for the main item goes through on a staffed till a message will pop up prompting them to sell the free gift.

Clearly the linked sale prompts are not fed through to the self service tills...

spuds 19:58 28 Jan 2010

That is one reason why I never bother to use electronic 'self help' points. When you speak to a human being, you usually find that they will provide an answer about 'extras' and how they are supplied (possibly by adding an extra code number to the order form!).

Some items, like on display clearance offers, usually have a notice about paying at the ckeckout, because you cannot pay for these via the 'quick payment point'.

jaraba 20:09 28 Jan 2010

1st time I had used this facility.
Will no better next time.

ronalddonald 06:37 29 Jan 2010

tillers still use a machine that tells them there are free gifts, the self pay machines don't yet maybe they should be printed on the receipt to notify the purchaser of the goods.

PalaeoBill 17:42 29 Jan 2010

On the plus side, the self help points don't try to talk you into buying insurance and/or batteries.

cj-57 19:32 29 Jan 2010

Useful tip.

As regards assistants trying to talk me into insurance and batteries, a polite 'no thanks' has never been met with more than a smile - never a repeat offer / hard sell.

numskull 09:40 30 Jan 2010

You can't use Money Off coupons at the self pay points either!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017