Argos Mis-selling TV's ....... can i take it back?

2drewej 18:57 15 Nov 2007

Hi , i purchased this tv from argos in the summer click here
it clearly states on the site that the visible screen size (ie the bit of the screen that displays the image) is 65cm however i have just measured the visible screen size twice and discovered that it is actually only 58cm. As far as im concerned this is mis-selling, and was wondering would i have the right to take it back for a refund/ swap for another tv?
as well as this it as two dead pixels.

thanks , Jacob

chub_tor 19:06 15 Nov 2007

Are you measuring diagonally? This is how most manufacturers specify the screen size.

SB23 19:07 15 Nov 2007

I used to sell TV's, and was always asked this at the point of sale.

I would like to mention that despite what the diagonal figure is, you WILL loose some of the measurement with the casing.

Arnie 19:08 15 Nov 2007

Did you measure the screen from corner to corner and not simply across the screen?

SANTOS7 19:08 15 Nov 2007

I bet it measures 65cm diagonally which is how ALL TVs are measured so there is no issue there as for the dead pixels you will have to enquire about Argos's dead pixel policy and go from there but if you have had this TV since the summer and not said anything before now i don't think you will get very far, good luck anyway....

SB23 19:08 15 Nov 2007

Sorry, but the last 3 words should read, within the casing.

Totally-braindead 19:13 15 Nov 2007

If you look at the link he posted it clearly says 66cm screen size, 65cm visable so if he has measured it correctly it does appear to be smaller than was advertised.

Totally-braindead 19:21 15 Nov 2007

You've posted this as resolved can I ask how it was resolved? Perhaps you measured the screen along the horizontal rather than from corner to corner? Was that it?

2drewej 22:31 15 Nov 2007

thanks for your help , yes i measured it vertically and not horizontally so thats why i was getting the incorrect measurements, even measuring diagonally though its still a little bit off but as SB23 suggested this is prob the norm with a lot of tv's

keef66 12:39 16 Nov 2007

it's diagonally from corner to corner, eg bottom left to top right. same for pc monitors.

knockin on 13:42 16 Nov 2007

So, Argus are NOT mis-selling TV's then? Pity about the thread title.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?