Are you fed up with trend to renting softare?

john bunyan 14:14 04 Jun 2015
Answered

I Have Photoshop CS5, Office 2007 Home and student edition and other software. I realise that software companies have to make money, and in the past have (except for anti virus) mostly bought retail CD /DVD installations.

These days MS Office and Photoshop (above CS6) are wanting monthly subscriptions. If one is not careful one could end up with too many such monthly bills - (including mobile phones etc). I see the advantage from the sellers view but prefer the outright purchase. Some hardware (PC) sellers are pushing Cloud storage also, with smaller capacity SSD drives. I prefer to buy one or more drives for my own back ups.

Any views, or am I too old fashioned?

Belatucadrus 15:00 04 Jun 2015

am I too old fashioned?

No idea, but if it does that makes at least two of us. I also dislike the trend towards free games with in-play purchases that inevitably work out way more expensive than it would have been to buy it outright in the old fashioned way.

bumpkin 15:59 04 Jun 2015

** sellers are pushing Cloud storage also, with smaller capacity SSD drives. I prefer to buy one or more drives for my own back ups

I agree with you, backup to an external drive. You physically have it not your data floating around somewhere in the sky.

bumpkin 17:49 04 Jun 2015

There were rumours going about that newer versions of windows may well be pay as you go as well.

If they want to commit financial suicide that would be the way to do it. I think that they are a bit cleverer than to try that.

iscanut 20:34 04 Jun 2015

Bring back the old days when the package you purchased included DVD and a proper paper manual. I hate this renting and having to look up a PDF each time I want to find out something.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:12 04 Jun 2015

soon you won't buy a PC, it'll just be a terminal to the cloud.

you'll pay to use the software packages and to store your data.

Oh its already here and called the chrome book :0(

bumpkin 21:15 04 Jun 2015

iscanut2, I agree with you. I bought a cctv control card which came with a 4 page 3" x 2" instruction "manual" which seems to assume that you know everything about it. It took me days to get it working and that was only thanks to a great deal of help from here.

bumpkin 21:15 04 Jun 2015

iscanut2, I agree with you. I bought a cctv control card which came with a 4 page 3" x 2" instruction "manual" which seems to assume that you know everything about it. It took me days to get it working and that was only thanks to a great deal of help from here.

hssutton 11:17 05 Jun 2015

I have mixed feelings on this. If I was just starting out maybe the thought of rental would be appealing, esp[ecially as I've spent a small fortune on Adobe software in the past.

There is no way I would consider renting, in my case Photoshop and Lightroom and cloud storage. In Adobe they are reaching the limits in what they can offer as upgrades, so I guess from their point of view it's a method of cash flow and the lack of piracy.

wee eddie 11:59 05 Jun 2015

I think that I will be happy to pay a Rental if: ~~ the Rental is 20%, or less, than the Original price: ~~ And that the Rental contains all updates for the period that one continues renting.

hssutton 10:43 06 Jun 2015

wee eddie in the case of the products I use i.e Photoshop and Lightroom the purchase price is approx £700 for photoshop CS6 and becoming increasing difficult to buy and £108 for Lightroom. Rental and cloud storage is £8.78 a month, but what will the monthly cost be next year or the year after when they have a captive market.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?