Are there any weaknesses in this Evesham quote?

Soloist 22:35 16 Mar 2006

Hi guys
I have just received this quote from Evesham and would appreciate it if some of you techies could cast your eye over it and let me know if there is anything lacking. I don't play games but do a lot of work with pictures (not video).
The total price is £909 + carriage + vat.
Many thanks.

Axis RD A-List (Mar06)
Consisting Of :
AMD® Athlon 64 X2 processor 3800+
Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire mainboard
1GB dual channel DDR RAM (PC3200) 400MHz (2x512MB)
200GB SATA Hard Drive with 8MB Buffer
256MB DDR ATI Radeon X800GTO PCI-Express graphics with TV-Out & DVI
19" Viewsonic VX912 (Black / Silver) DVI TFT
Tool free case (453x222x495mm) - Xpider Design
16x DVD-ROM Drive
Multi Format Dual Layer DVD-RW (16x) / CD-RW (40x) drive
7.1 channel surround sound (on-board)
Creative I-Trigue 3220 2.1 Speakers
Logitech Internet Pro Cordless Desktop
Microsoft® Works 8.0
CD/DVD creation software, video editing and DVD playback software.
3.5" 1.44Mb Floppy Disk Drive
Midi tower case
Evesham Gold 3 Year Warranty - 1st & 2nd year in-home (OSM) service (Parts & Labour), 3rd year
Return-To-Base (RTB, Parts & Labour). National rate telephone support & BigFix pre-emptive support.

quaggydog 22:37 16 Mar 2006

Looks good

SG Atlantis® 22:45 16 Mar 2006

7.1 onboard sound with 2.1 speakers?

But apart from that, it looks like the "bees knees"

Go for it.

Forum Editor 22:47 16 Mar 2006

looks very good to me, the computer will be more than capable of handling your intended workload.

Simsy 08:11 17 Mar 2006

That CRT monitors are better than TFT ones for image work...

I don't know if this is true, but bearing in mind you say that you do a lot of work with pictures it is probably something you should pay a lot of attention to. Perhaps there is a way of viewing one of the monitors you have in mind?

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:42 17 Mar 2006

'It has often been mentioned...That CRT monitors are better than TFT ones for image work...'...I have used both and there is no difference that I can see for image work. The Viewsonic is the same that I use and is as good as my old Sony 21"CRT.

G

Soloist 17:33 20 Mar 2006

Thank you all for your very useful feedback. I have placed my order and look forward to receiving it.
Re the monitor, I understand that graphic artists use crt's because they are superior so I gave the Viewsonic a very close inspection in the Bournemouth store and as far as I could tell the resolution is about the same as my 5 year old 17" Dell, the contrast and colour is probably better. I just want to get this great lump off my desk!
The 7.1 onboard sound comes standard kit and I'll probably never use it because I am hooked-up to my hi fi but its there if I change my mind.
I added an extra to the list above - TV Card and remote.
Best regards to all and thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?