Approx cost of BT extension socket

terry19 23:45 07 Jan 2006

Hi,

A friend of mine wants to put her computer about 30 ft away from her telephone socket and I told her she would probably be better off having an extension socket installed by BT. Could anyone give me a rough idea of what the cost might be?

Cheers.

Stuartli 23:54 07 Jan 2006

It would cost under £20 including the cable if you know someone who is handy with such work.

BT will charge a vastly larger sum...:-)

Is it for broadband or dialup. You can buy a telephone extension cable for around a fiver to run from the main socket (hide it under the carpet or skirting board) and a data type for broadband could be run in the same way. It cost me £7.59 for a 10 metre BB data cable.

Don't forget that with broadband you will require a splitter (ADSL filter) for the main socket; a phone extension cable could be used from a double adapter.

terry19 00:14 08 Jan 2006

Thanks for that. It's for Broadband and I could do the job for her but her father want's a professional job doing. No loose cables on show or unnecessary disturbance etc. She has to pay and was wondering what the cost might be.

Thanks.

sharkfin 01:36 08 Jan 2006

I recall asking about the price of an extension and as I remember BT quoted roughly £115 I think.

Diodorus Siculus 09:32 08 Jan 2006

Sharkfin is correct; BT took a line from our downstairs office to upstairs and charged the best part of £150.

To be fair to them, the engineer did an excellent job and the wires are hidden. So much so, when I came in to see if it was done I thought that he hadn't been.

So it all depends on what you think it's worth and how tidily you can do it.

Stuartli 10:12 08 Jan 2006

I did say that BT would be vastly dearer - it charges £50 + VAT for a basic call out (at least that was the charge at the last count).

terry19

I'm quite sure that you could do a "professional" job. It's hardly that difficult hiding a length of cable and you certainly wouldn't know mine had been done.

The only evidence of a cable is where you have to link up the modem's lead to it and even that's out of view under my desk....:-)

Hamish 10:24 08 Jan 2006

Why not consider going wireless. For information only click here

grumpy old git 12:01 08 Jan 2006

If you are reasonably 'handy' you can easily do it yourself, get her father to help! If a ready made extension is not acceptable then buy a length of telephone cable, cable insertion tool and a recessed box and socket from your local hardware store, should not cost more than a few pounds. Connect the wires 'like with like'. The connection colour coding is as follows should you get stuck.

1 green/white .... spare
2 blue/white ..... speech circuit
3 orange/white ... bell circuit
4 white/orange ... earth recall
5 white/blue ..... speech circuit
6 white/green .... spare

You do not need to know what the circuits are just stick to connecting like with like.

On the other hand if you think a screwdriver is an alcoholic drink then perhaps she should pay a professional.

spuds 12:32 08 Jan 2006

B&Q or similar will supply the complete installation kit for less than a tenner. A simple case of plugging in and making the connections,no technical knowledge required.

spuds 12:34 08 Jan 2006

NB- Don't forget the filters.

dmc727 13:33 08 Jan 2006

“want's a professional job doing. She has to pay......”

Accept there is an easy DIY job here but if you go the BT route I would replace the old style BT master linebox (illegal to change it yourself) and have a new master linebox fitted - shouldn’t add much more to the bill.

Looks like this:click here

It gives you a separate broadband (filtered) socket plus a separate phone socket - no need for any more filters around the house.

Just ask BT for a NTE5 linebox , the BT-installed NTE5 has their logo stamped on it.

Broadband is here to stay as they say.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017