Approved Retailers & Warranties

spuds 17:09 10 Jul 2005

As a matter of curiousity I was wondering if anyone as had the misfortunte of having a manufacturers warranty [register your warranty] cancelled due to the retailer not being 'approved or authorised'.

I fully understand and appreciate consumer law, and realise that any first claims are against the person/store/on-line outlet that is selling the item.

I have been looking at some warranty and guarantee forms for monitors and printers, and I notice that some manufacturers state that they will not honour the warranty/guarantee, if the item was not purchased from one of their approved or authorised retailers/dealers.In one particular case, a monitor was supplied with a 3 year manufacturers warranty, which in theory and possible practise [if 'approved' registered], as now been reduced to a retailers perhaps 1 year warranty, because the retailer was not approved or officially authorised to sell the product.So in theory bang goe's the purchase from the local computer shop or perhaps even eBuyer,Dabs or the like!.

Pooke 23:33 10 Jul 2005

I never keeps things long enough, the one year warranty by law is enough for me.

Pooke

Forum Editor 10:42 11 Jul 2005

that a manufacturer's warranty is an addition to your legal rights, rather than a substitute for them, and - in theory at any rate - you should never have cause to make use of the warranty. There's no legal obligation (that I know of) for a manufacturer to supply a warranty in the first place, although most of them do.

That being the case I imagine that manufacturers are at liberty to impose the 'approved retailers only' clause if they so wish, although it does seem a tad parsimonious.

In some instances retailers arrange for consumers to deal direct with the manufacturer in case of complaint, and we see this happening often with monitors. Usually this is done because the retailer doesn't have the ability to effect repairs, and the manufacturer is happy to deal direct. Your statutory rights still apply however - it's the retailer who is ultimately liable to you under current consumer legislation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017