AOL, Speed me up.

wolfie3000 13:21 06 Jul 2007

Yep had an E-Mail from AOL about an hour ago saying they want to speed up my internet connection to 8MB.

Its a totally free upgrade but i have a few questions,

1 I currently have a BT Voyager 105 adsl modem, will this take 8MB?
The woman i chatted to said it would with no problems.

2 with the upgrade i get aol talk free, is this really free?
Woman said yes it is.

3 Will aol talk change anything on my bt line, I.E. charges ect...?
Woman said it wont.

wolfie3000 13:23 06 Jul 2007

Also, what in real temrs will 8MB like for downloading stuff??

Im on 1MB atm and downloads are usually 120KBS

pj123 14:12 06 Jul 2007

Did AOL categorically state "8mb" or did they say "up to 8mb"

I don't think any ISP can guarantee a specific figure. There are too many other factors which can stop you getting 8mb.

I am supposed to have a 4mb connection (not AOL) but it mostly works at below 1mb. (I am talking to my ISP about this).

Dipso 15:10 06 Jul 2007

BT advice you upgrade the Voyager 105 to a router click here In any case routers work better than USB modems when on up to 8 Meg.

It's difficult to estimate what speed you are likely to get unless you can provide some line stats click here or you can use the calculator click here

harps1h 08:37 08 Jul 2007

follow dipsos' advice he is seldom wrong about these matters, however i would reconsider your options on
aol, as their helplines can be frustrating. take a look at click here it will give an insight as to who offers what

Diemmess 09:26 08 Jul 2007

Back in the days before BB when I dialled up each time to connect via Aol, the helpline was an 0800 number staffed in Dublin.

Just a sweet dream these days when any telephone help (for lowest Silver contract) means an 0845 call to the sub-continent and mutual misunderstanding plus occasional misinformation.

BB line speed software shows me that I cannot expect > 2mbps whatever the offer.
A doubled speed from 1Gbps is what Aol have been promising all year, though they recently regretted having to postpone this until August...... or September, blaming BT.

Diemmess 09:28 08 Jul 2007

Sorry about "1Gbps" ..... I haven't got that many fingers!

pk46 23:01 09 Jul 2007

When i was with AOL i got close to 2mb upto 8mb it depends on what speed your exchange can handel or the distance from the exchange will effect speed,and AOL are going to give you this for £16.99 or so you will be lucky.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone