AOL Prices

driving man 09:07 03 Aug 2006

phoned them up last night (India) and said wasnt happy paying their prices fot AOL silver--the most basic broadband'
First of all they offered me a free modem and £14.99 a month. Said I didnt need a modem and they said £9.99 a month.ok i told some porky piesabout opposition prices but what a drop from original £17.99 to £9.99
mind you have been on aol since '97
Seems there is a God of justice in this world.
but to those on aol try same trick --it may or may not work for you.
1 thing i would say as a salesman when on phone keep smiling-- it somehow gets down the phone line

vinnyT 13:46 03 Aug 2006

Great result.

Many of the isp's are the same, tell them you want to cancell and they can sometimes offer great deals.

ASTRoberts 10:13 06 Aug 2006

I am in the final month of my AOL Broadband Silver Contract. If you do nothing, they just keep taking £17-99 a month. Having read your post, I rang them and, similar result ... £9-99 a month, one year contract with first month free. I think this is the deal AOL are offering their Dial-up customers if they upgrade to Broadband. Like you, I have been with AOL since 1997. I guess many here will get their Broadband cheaper than £9-99 a month, but it will do for me. If I remember correctly in 1997, AOL were just upgrading from 14.4 kbps to 28.8 kbps, there was no "unlimited" package, you paid £5-95 a month subscription, first 5 hours online were "free" then you paid £2-35 an hour ... and you had to pay for the phonecalls on top of that !!!

Astro.

Stuartli 11:12 06 Aug 2006

Pipex have done similar discounts and Tiscali dropped its £14.99 1MB to £9.99 for a while to those who sought to leave following the TalkTalk offer back in April.

driving man 14:24 06 Aug 2006

ASTRoberts glad to have been of use. remember the days of dial up------ 1 month the bill was nearly £100 which was paid for by the minute.--Then they went unlimited-- about 10 months ago finally went broadband and the last week complained.
Anyway I'm glad you had a result as well

Regards

Chris

ASTRoberts 15:51 06 Aug 2006

Yes driving man, your experience of AOL is very similar to mine. Beats me how anyone can refer to "The Good Old Days" :)
For all that, although AOL aren't the cheapest, I think the service and support they provide is probably better than the average ISP.

Cheers,
Astro.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?