aol broadband free modem

IMAGEDKTR1 22:31 17 Mar 2004

ok this might be seen more as a moan than anything else but as i,m getting no help from aol i thought i would see if anyone else has had similar probs. in eager anticipation i opened the box and loaded cd for bb aol followed all the prompts and hey great i got bb . now whenever i finish my session i cant get pc (or lappy for that matter) to shut down . pc freezes i click start shutdown it never gets to shut down all it does is try to close running progs like aol which i may well of signed off 15 mins previous. is this normal? i dont think so is it bts voyager modem ? i think maybe a friend who experienced similar changed his modem to a zoom usb one and has had no further probs. any ideas anyone?

Djohn 23:23 17 Mar 2004

The Voyager is a good modem, I don't think that is causing the problem. Here are a couple of things to try. Let us know how you get on.

1)Log off AOL and go to your "Start" button, click on "search" and include hidden files and folders Type in the following.

global.org

Click on the search button and all files that are found, "Delete". AOL will rebuild this folder for you next time you log on.

2)Open the AOL desktop but don't log on. Look to the toolbar and click on "Settings" then "Preferences" from the new window that opens click on "Fonts/Text/Graphics" look to the lower section of the new window and you will see a box with the number 40 in it. Reduce this to 5 save and exit back to the AOL desktop.

Close down the desktop and reboot your PC. Open the AOL desktop but don't log on. Do as above but this time take the number 5 back up to 40. This will rebuild your graphics for you. Exit to the desktop and re-boot your PC.

Open the AOL desktop and this time log on. You should now find it will work fine and close down instantly when you log off.

Print this off as a guide before you do the above and if it has not helped then please post back to this thread and we will try again. There are a couple of "Hotfixes" from Microsoft that when you down load them sometimes overwrite your AOL settings and need to be removed. Only do this though if the above fails to help.

Good luck. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?