Anyone using IE8 RC1?

anskyber 11:56 27 Jan 2009

Looks fine so far. Oddly it would not complete the download in IE7 after three tries. It just hung at the 1 second to go and verifying. It came down perfectly in Google Chrome.

The only tweak I had was to update my Windows Live sign in plug in and all was well. This site (PCA) was flaky in 8 so I am running it in Compatibility Mode which is easily done from an icon to the right of the address bar.

I cannot find any UK based sites with Web slices but I have one running from EBay.com to check them out. It's necessary to get the add ons to make some of the features work. So far 8 seems faster than 7.

ventanas 12:08 27 Jan 2009

Yep, just installed it. Similar problems with Windows Live, but now updated.
PCA seems ok here, and it does seem to be a lot quicker than 7, as you have found.

anskyber 12:13 27 Jan 2009

The release notes are useful click here it mentions areas to look out for such as making sure you have an up to date Google toolbar if you have one. (I do not)

ventanas 12:18 27 Jan 2009

Sorry, yes, Google was another issue, but now fixed.
Not noticed a great deal of difference so far, except the increased speed.
Will keep using it and see what happens.
So far it seem fine.

birdface 13:32 27 Jan 2009

[and it does seem to be a lot quicker than 7.]Anything is got to be better than IE7.I might give IE8 a try a bit later.I will wait and see what others think first.

birdface 13:37 27 Jan 2009

Anybody tried uninstalling it yet. click here

ventanas 13:49 27 Jan 2009

Not a problem for me, using Vista.

birdface 14:09 27 Jan 2009

It should not be a problem.I suppose you would not want to take a backward step to IE7 or IE6.There is always other browsers that you can use if you get any problems.Maybe they should have made it plain for anyone downloading the new version that you could not then go back to IE7.Mind you I use IE7 and cannot go back to IE6 so the same difference.

birdface 17:14 27 Jan 2009

Took the plunge.I still find it slow compared to Firefox.Speed wise have found no difference between IE7 and IE8 but that might just be something to do with the settings on my computer.Text slightly smaller than IE7 and if you set text to larger then its to large.No problems downloading and running it.Cant get the Favorite Icon off the bottom of the Toolbar so the Toolbar is a bit thicker than I like.Apart from that I have found no other problems.But the day is young.

AL47 21:15 27 Jan 2009

tbh i dont think i will give ie8 a try, ff3.1 shows alot of promise and i dont think i can go back and loose all my important extensions and addons

Al94 22:10 27 Jan 2009

Had to run this site in compatability mode, otherwise seems OK so far, dont see much difference is speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?