Anyone any experience of Levono laptops?

Diodorus Siculus 14:27 25 May 2008

I've liked the IBM thinkpads for a long time and found them excellent... anyone any current experience of them now that they are Levono?

The one I'm interested is here click here so if anyone could comment, I'd be pleased.

Many thanks, Dio

Forum Editor 14:52 25 May 2008

and I love it. ThinkPads are undeniably objects of desire, and people who use them tend to become attached to them - I've now had three.

My current machine is the X60 with a core duo processor. I beefed up the RAM, and it just flies along. It weighs 3.5 lbs, and is the computer that travels with me. The only slight drawback is the lack of a CD drive, but I have an external model I can use if I need to.

Otherwise it's a little dream of a machine.

€dstowe 14:55 25 May 2008

Cheaper at eBuyer click here

Forum Editor 15:01 25 May 2008

I've just realised that the machine you're considering isn't actually a ThinkPad - it's one of the Lenovo 3000 range, which is different.

Forum Editor 15:03 25 May 2008

That's not quite the same machine - different processor.

€dstowe 15:09 25 May 2008

Ooops - I Googled the reference number and that came up. Didn't check to see if it was identical.

Diodorus Siculus 15:51 25 May 2008

Thanks for the comments; I'd not realised that it wasn't a thinkpad either...

I have an eee 701 which is just what I need when out and about so I'm thinking of getting a laptop that will be a little less portable than the Asus.

I will want it to have a 15.4 screen, 250gb hard disk and the ability to take 3gb of RAM.

As I say, it doesn't have to be ultra light but I don't want 17 inch screen either.

As well as the thinkpad, I'm keen on Toshiba also having had some very good experiences with them; my first one, running a celeron 366mhz processor and 32mb RAMis still running well on Win98SE and does all the user wants!

chub_tor 16:51 25 May 2008

Bought my granddaughter a Lenovo 3000 N200 series for her college (and play) work and it has been very successful an reliable. She did have a battery die on her after 15 months but has never had any other problem with it. It has even travelled to China with no problems and she has been able to connect wherever she goes.

Forum Editor 17:13 25 May 2008

Me too, and I was impressed, but I've just got my hands on its successor - the EeePC 900 - and I'm even more impressed. Mine is running Windows XP, Microsoft Office, and a few other essential applications with no trouble at all. It has 1Gb of RAM and zips along nicely. I teamed it up with my mobile phone provider's broadband internet USB stick, and now I have broadband access wherever I am (as long as there's a network signal) for £15 a month.

The Asus is a delightful little machine, and at £329 deserves to sell by the million.

Diodorus Siculus 17:30 25 May 2008

I'd like the 901 but it's hard to justify... at the £219 mark which I bought the 701 at, it's perfect.

I run XP Home on 2GB RAM, with Abi Word, FileZilla and a few other little apps. As you say, is impressive and no doubt the 901 even more so.

There is a good thread on EEEUser.com about NLite and getting a 320mb install of XP; fully updated and with the programs I need installed, it comes in at under 1GB. I've left off the swap file and there seems to be no problem.

Anyway, I'll be moving abroad in October so want to find something reliable over the next couple of months in order to road test it. No doubt, I'll be back again asking for opinions.

Forum Editor 10:40 26 May 2008

I also have a 701, and although it's a good little machine I wouldn't describe it as 'perfect'.

It has only 512Mb of RAM - you can't add more - the hard drive capacity is way too small for anything other than light use, and the screen is too small - the speakers on each side spoil it.

My new 900 has 1Gb of RAM, a 20Gb drive, and the screen is larger - the speakers are now underneath. Asus has listened to the feedback it got from 701 users, and addressed the problems they encountered. The new machine is very much a 'real' computer, but as small as a paperback book; at its price point it's precisely what the market has needed for a long time, although Asus needs to watch that selling price - it mustn't creep any higher.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?