Anyo ne help on aussie car hire ???

littlestan 15:50 11 Apr 2009

Hi everyone,

Im off to oz next week and will need to hire a car in byron bay, (on the gold coast) for a week and sydney for a few days. Any globe trotters amongst you got any good contacts? The internet is a mine field of horror stories and really need cheap (as always) but decent company in uk or oz to sort out some wheels.

I am internetted out looking and hope that some chums on this site may be able to help - long shot but any advice would be very welcome.

Many thanks
LS

john bunyan 16:03 11 Apr 2009

Byron bay is nearer Brisbane than Sydney and I think south of the true Gold Coast. Quite a good Rain Forest Reserve near there. I used to use a company called Penny Wise in Brisbane. Not sure if it still is in business. I found off airport car hire cheaper than the likes of Avis. Are you thinking of driving from Sydney to Byron Bay? Will try to remember Sydney contacts.

john bunyan 16:07 11 Apr 2009

Google "Car Hire Byron Bay NSW" and you will see a load of hirers.

Ventad 16:50 11 Apr 2009

Have a look at this one, has offices in UK and I have Used them for Spain.
click here

curofone 17:23 11 Apr 2009

When i went to portugal last year we hired two cars from click here and they were fantastic, very cheap(prices changed daily so need to keep you eye on it) extremely good customer services (had problems with payment (for some reason my bank did not like german companies taking my money)) when i needed to speak to their customer servies they answered my emails with in the hour and were always happy to call me and they always called when they said they would and to finish it off we got cars much better than we paid for, they are definitely a company i will use in the future

littlestan 18:07 11 Apr 2009

Thanks people for your sound advice. John Bunyan - not driving to Brisbane flying to Coolangatta airport from Sydney - so ideally need a car from the airport as apparently costs 60 ozzie dollars single each from airport which is roughly £30 each! so car very necessary.

Will certainly look at curafone's suggestion and try and summon up the energy to go googling again!

thanks soooooooo much
LS x

john bunyan 16:33 12 Apr 2009

The Google link above mentions car hire in Byron Bay. I imagine they serve Coolangatta. By the way , no doubt you are young(!!) ie under 70. I want to revisit Oz and am now over that tender age so have discovered I need a (quite expensive) medical when applying for a visitors visa. Not a well known matter. Hope you have a good trip. Byron Bay used to be a hippy haunt .... still a great place, some soy the nicest in Oz.

littlestan 16:54 12 Apr 2009

John Bunyan - mmm not so young unfortunately - mid 50s and mentally wanting to get younger! You will find med insurance and get your visa - just don't give up wanting to revisit and you will - what's in an age, it is only numbers - my mother-in-law is 89 and in the last 3 years has been to south africa to visit her brother(!) hong kong to visit her grandson - and australia to visit her other brother, travels to some remote horror of a place in Greece to visit her daughter - they go on forever and she's the youngest and her brothers visit her here! She is of the generation that are real troopers and wont let something as silly as medical insurance, bureacracy and red tape stop her- So go for it - and might see you one day in Byron and will buy you a glass of lemonade as the cost of excess i am finding on car hire, will be all i can afford
Thanks to everyone for your help, good advice and best wishes x LS

john bunyan 19:00 12 Apr 2009

OK with medical insurance. But ,over 70 (Not you youngsters) one needs a special medical on a form to be sent to the visa authorities. This costs about £100 -£200 from a GP.Over 85 I think, they relax the rule! My mother passed her US driving licence when over 80 (WAAF driver in wartime!)and travelled well into her 90's.I will go, but make sure paperwork is ok. Have a great trip. JB

britto 23:03 12 Apr 2009

enjoy your trip but watch out for the speed traps,
my friend got back to blighty a week after the fixed penalty notice ............

jai02 18:45 14 Aug 2009

hi

i had recently travelled to london for a holiday and i booked Airport Taxi transfer service with Hummingbird Cars click here
They were excellent at their service. I would highly recommend to book Airport transfer taxi service from them if you in future travel to london.

They also provide 5 % Discount on all return Journey

Thanks

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?