any views on packard bell imedia range

rambus 20:18 27 Mar 2004

my local pc store has a range of "packard bell/nec imedia pc`s of various specs for sale at very competitive prices, from £150 thru £500.
these are end of line excess stock. i am very tempted to buy, therefore would welcome any comments especially from owners of these machines. the stock can be viewed at,
click here

hugh-265156 13:51 28 Mar 2004

i have an older 2002 imedia computer and never had a problem with it.

all my hardware is industry standard stuff ie/gigabyte mobo,seagate hdd,phillips dvd etc and is easily upgraded if you want to.

my graphics (sis650) were onboard and rubbish for games.i upgraded to an agp card and got some more ram (512mb)and it performs much better.

the only bad thing with the allegra cases is there is not much room inside them,no space for a fan at the back or front either.i threw my case away and transfered everything to a new case.

the ami bios with my computer is also granny friendly ie/ no options to tweak things other than basic settings so if you like to play with settings,overclock etc steer clear.otherwise they are solid enough performers.

rambus 17:21 28 Mar 2004

Thanks for your comments Huggyg71 i have taken onboard all you say and your advice is welcome.
have found a few more packard bells on ebay of similar spec, so i will try my luck there first.

Aspman 13:08 29 Mar 2004

I've fixed a few PBs over the years (nothing serious at all) and the thing I really didn't think was too great on the machines I've seen was the lack of an OS disk or a restore disk.

These machines had a hidden partition on the HD which could restore the machine back to factory including all the software. That sort of setup may cause problems if you have a HD failure or want to upgrade your HD and not keep the original.

I believe threads discussing just that have appeared before.

I don't know if all PB PCs have the same setup as that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017