Any life left in the old Machine?

MarkDunstan 07:53 01 Mar 2015

Hello, sorry, I've already posted this over in Tech forums, but I'm not sure if it was the right place? But onto the question!

I've had a dell XPS 710 since 2007, and have only upgraded the graphics card from the old 8800GTX to the (old now I guess) 560 GTX. It's handled everything I've thrown at it for years at quite good settings (high mostly), but now I see it can no longer keep up with modern gaming.

These are my pc specs:

Core 2 Quad Core Processor Q6600 (2.4GHz, 1066FSB, 8MB cache) Memory Dual-channel 4096MB (667MHz DDR2) Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 32-bit operating system (vista)

I was wondering if there was any chance I could upgrade a few things bit by bit and over time to give it some extra life and hopefully play something like the Witcher 3 without embarrassing itself... Or should I just start from scratch and buy a new pc? I'd like to know stuff like whether a new motherboard and i5 processor would fit in the case? If so, what would you recommend?

Thanks for your time and any help you can offer. I know I should be looking at changing all the above, but what would work together, fit in the case etc? My budget is pretty bad, and was hoping I could find some upgrades for quite cheap (maybe around 300-400 altogether). I'm a family man on low wage so unfortunately getting a spanking new pc is no longer possible! This is certainly not my field, and I'm hoping someone here can help me. Much appreciated and thanks for your time!

lotvic 10:42 01 Mar 2015

I have replied on your other thread in Tech Helproom click here please don't start new threads on same subject as it just gets confusing :)

You can close/greentick this thread by clicking on the big grey tick underneath any post. It will turn green and next time page is refreshed Thread will be marked 'Resolved'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?