Any Ideas on a new computer?

StripySkittle 14:37 10 Feb 2007

I am a teenager, and have around £650 to spend on a computer. I will mostly use it for school,going on the internet and playing games. I am not particularly interested in the new Vista. Does anyone have any suggestions on any computers, or any good companies that I should buy from?
Thank you in advance. ^^

Totally-braindead 14:48 10 Feb 2007

Something like this perhaps click here add a 7600GT graphics card and a reasonable monitor or click here but you'd need a bit more cash to get a monitor as well.

StripySkittle 14:48 10 Feb 2007

Anyone, please? XD

StripySkittle 14:49 10 Feb 2007

Thanks! Sorry about the other post, I posted it, when I didn't realized you posted yours!

Thanks for that good tip,I think I migt actually consider that ^^

StripySkittle 14:51 10 Feb 2007

Do you know any good companies to buy from? XD

Totally-braindead 15:00 10 Feb 2007

You can get cheaper ones click here however you did specifically mention games. Games demand more memory, faster processors and better graphics cards so this one is fine for now providing you add a 7600GT graphics card but the processor is a bit too near what some games are already asking for so from my point of view it makes sense to try to get one of the others, they are a bit faster and will alst longer.
Whatever you do buy make sure of 2 things. It must have upgradable graphics that means it must have a PCI Express x 16 slot and the reason I rather like the Novatech ones is they come with either a 400 watt or a 450 watt power supply. Some of the branded ones come with lower wattage supplies which are fine until you try to upgrade the graphics card. You then may find that the power supply is not good enough and you have to spend another £50 buying another.
Either of the PCs with the 7600GT would do you, the Intel dual core is better but a bit over budget once you add a monitor. You will need an Operating System, the difference in price between XP Home and Vista Premium is only £6 click here personally I would prefer to have Vista Premuim preinstalled but its up to you.

StripySkittle 15:09 10 Feb 2007

Thanks for all the info, it's really useful, especially the little fatcs, which you don't know about, until it happens, then you have to like pay another £50.

Thanks again for everything, I'm just gonna go and check out PcWorld, and Dell!
Those links you gave me really helped too, and I think that I actually might keep those in mind ^^

Totally-braindead 15:16 10 Feb 2007

If a computer hasn't got a PCI Express slot x 16 do not buy it and same goes if it does not have at least a 400 watt power supply, if its more powerful even better.
As an example of someone who wanted to upgrade his graphics and then had bother because of the power supply click here and click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires