Anti Virus and Anti Malware security

roxie555 09:59 09 May 2015

At 65 I have only the most basic understanding of anti virus and anti malware computer security. With Windows 8.1 I have Windows Defender built in but a number of on-line articles seem to suggest it is not very good as an anti virus product. Malwarebytes claim that their anti malware software, whilst essentially a removal programme, will pick up on viruses missed by existing anti virus security. Please could you advise me that if I buy an anti malware product will this be enough with my current anti virus or should I disable Windows Defender and purchase another anti virus programme? Sincere thanks. Mike Roxburgh

john bunyan 10:17 09 May 2015

As a very cheap but effective programme, I suggest : Free anti virus - Avast from Filehippo, then disable Defender. For anti Malware : Malawarebytes (MBAM) either free from Again, Filehippo.

Occasional scans with Superantispyware may find "ad- aware tracking cookies that the others miss. SAS

If you like MBAM, I could provide a link to a lifetime subscription to their Premium version, that auto updates etc., for about £10

Use Windows own firewall.

You could add Spywareblaster; it is said to deter malware.

spywareblaster

alanrwood 10:30 09 May 2015

+1 to John.

rdave13 11:24 09 May 2015

Double posing can create confusion, click here.

roxie555 11:34 09 May 2015

John Can you send the link for Malwarebytes Premium? Also are Superantispyware and Spywareblaster programmes compatible with each other and anti virus and Malwarebytes software? Cheers

john bunyan 12:12 09 May 2015

roxie555

Also are Superantispyware and Spywareblaster programmes compatible with each other and anti virus and Malwarebytes software?

As long as you only have one anti virus, the other(anti malware) programmes are all compatible; they do slightly different things.

Will come back later with Malawarebytes Premium link, when I find it.

john bunyan 12:15 09 May 2015

Had not spotted other thread! Luckily most advisors seem to agree!!

roxie555 12:20 09 May 2015

Thank you John

john bunyan 17:27 09 May 2015

roxie555

Link as requested; I have bought 3 Malawarebytes Premium licences so far from them for different PC's.

Malawarebytes premium

roxie555 20:02 09 May 2015

Thanks John. Very good of you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?