Android OS Upgrades?

thailen11 00:29 29 Jun 2014

When, if ever, will Google enable us Android 4.2 and earlier users to upgrade to 4.4 and higher?

alanrwood 09:38 29 Jun 2014

It probably has nothing to do with Google. Google has issued the software to the various manufacturers who then need to customiser it for their own devices. That is where the hold ups occur as some manufacturers need to do it for a large number of devices which is why some are never updated at all. Also remember some older devices may not be capable of running the newer versions efficiently.

In my limited knowledge the only effective way is to install the stock Android software and update manually but then you might lose some of the special services provided by the device manufacturer.

I'm open to correction on the above as I am a relative newbie to Android currently investigating this for my Moto G.

tigertop2 16:05 29 Jun 2014

You should check with the manufacturer's website for this info. As far as I can see they will usually do one upgrade for each model. Thus if you are on android 4.1 you might get 4.2 but probably not any more beyond that.

I suppose its a commercial decision so you eventually have to upgrade your hardware to get new software

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?