Ancestry website

Spark6 14:23 22 Apr 2008

I have been trying to access the Ancestry website for the last couple of days without success. Is the problem at my end or is the site down?

Noels 14:46 22 Apr 2008

No problem click here
Regards
Noels

Spark6 15:06 22 Apr 2008

Unfortunately your link brings up the same notification:

"! The page cannot be displayed.

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable."

Thanks for your response, I'm wondering what I have to do now. This site, and many others, are trouble free.

anchor 15:22 22 Apr 2008

Working fine here too.

Noels 15:25 22 Apr 2008

Interesting for several weeks I have had a similar problem with Francis Frith's Poast Card site. None of their photos would open with IE7. No problem with any other site in the world.
In desperation I downloaded the browser OPERA which is free. I could immediately open Friths card site.Give it ago. click here

Regards
Noels

Spark6 15:35 22 Apr 2008

Interesting. I have IE6 on this computer and I get the page unavailable every time now with Ancestry.

I have IE7 on my laptop but still connected through the same wireless router and I managed to access the Ancestry site with it. However, when I tried to log-on I get the same unavailable message. There's something weird going on. I'll try Opera later and let you know how I get on.

Noels 15:49 22 Apr 2008

I was,and am still as puzzeled as you with my problem. I turned off my AV and firewall and did everything I could think of. I could get the site to open but not the pictures to open.
The only difference between IE7 and OPERA is that IE7 uses Google as a search engine whereas Opera uses Yahoo. I have not experimented between the two but it could be that is where the problem lies?
Regards
Noels

Spark6 16:14 22 Apr 2008

I've tried Opera, accessed Ancestry first time but received the 'page unavailable' blurb again when I attempted to log on.

Do we have any Ancestry subscribers who are currently able to use their site? Is it possible to contact Ancestry by phone to get their opinion/advice on this problem?

Gringo2005 16:22 22 Apr 2008

Just logged in to check it for you and it works fine from here

I am on IE7 and running XP from my laptop

Sounds like a security acces problem

Maybe ancestry have updated their site and has caused security problems for IE6, so would suggest asking them or upgrade to IE7

Spark6 16:43 22 Apr 2008

Many thanks, I'll try again this evening. If it is a security/access problem it seems strange that it is the only one of many internet sites that I'm having a problem with. I have already tried with IE7 on my laptop but was unable to log-in.

Noels 17:08 22 Apr 2008

I'm an Ancestry subscriber but can't see any telephone numbers you can use to talk to a real live person! There is a "Contact Us" but this seems to be only a simple question and answer site.
I'll keep looking.
Regards
Noels

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone