Amazyn is it to good to be true?

jy255 15:13 10 Jan 2006

Been looking around for a new laptop and came across this site, they seem very cheap compared to everywhere else. Has anyone ever dealt with them before?
click here

Cheers

SG Atlantis® 15:25 10 Jan 2006

I'm surprised they can use that name as it's close to Amazon in spelling. Clearly they are trying to "make" on this similarity, I wouldn't give them the light of day. Stick with well known companies that don't try to ride on the back of anothers success.

GaT7 15:43 10 Jan 2006

I agree with SG Atlantis®. The website doesn't look right at all - it doesn't have any Terms & Conditions, payment or delivery info, etc, etc. It's the barest online shop I've ever come across.

If you tell us what laptop(s) you're interested in - make & model - we'll try to direct you to the appropriate website(s). G

PS - Don't take a risk & end up like these poor people click here & click here.

PaulB2005 15:48 10 Jan 2006

Looks very unprofessional, the prices are about £100 cheaper than elsewhere with limited inforation.

Whois

Domain name:
amazyn.co.uk

Registrant:
Karen O'Neill

Registrant type:
Non-UK Individual

Registrant's address:
The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Registrant's agent:
UK2 Limited [Tag = UK2NET]
URL: click here

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 20-Sep-2005
Renewal date: 20-Sep-2007

Registration status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
ultra1.uk2.net
ultra2.uk2.net

----
Note:
Registrant's address:
The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Stuartli 15:51 10 Jan 2006

The business address, according to the website, is:

135, Gloucester Rd, Bishopston, Bristol, Avon BS7 8AX

Tel: 0117 924 0534

I'd contact the Bristol Trading Standards - it will almost certainly know of anything that might be amiss with the company concerned.

You have to ask yourself how or why a small outfit can, if your comment about cheap prices is correct, offer top brand products at lower prices than some of the biggest names in the UK?

To be honest I agree with earlier postings about avoidance until you are absolutely 100 per cent sure it's genuine.

Stuartli 15:55 10 Jan 2006

The outlet is called Amazing Systems Inc from which, presumably, the Amazon sounding website name springs...

PaulB2005 15:57 10 Jan 2006

I've registered with them and they only accept Bank Transfer or Western Union for payments - AVOID.

jy255 16:02 10 Jan 2006

Thanks for the responses, was thinking it was a bit to good to be true and did notice the lack of company info just thought I would check it out before dismissing it.

Interested in the Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A 1667G laptop. Have a budget of about £700.
It needs to have a good graphics card to run virtual reality cycle trainer 128mb graphics memory and direct X9 compatible.

Cheers

PaulB2005 16:04 10 Jan 2006
  PaulB2005 16:15 10 Jan 2006

The REAL address is:

Alexs Fruits
135 Gloucester Road
Bishopston
BRISTOL
BS7 8AX

click here

Note the different phone number.

Suspect the "owners" of the website have been to Bristol the same number of times i've been to the moon....

Diemmess 17:43 10 Jan 2006

The background skills of so many contributors to this forum simply amaze me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017