amazon payphrase

conrail 21:26 11 Nov 2009

please be aware of this scam

I have recently been sent a message supposedly from amazon asking me to log into amazon.com/payphrase. to update my payment options by setting up a memorable phrase to quicken things up, as I never click onto links directly, a lesson learned through these pages, I opened amazon.co.uk then entered /payphrase, this wasn't found so I tried the same with amazon.com and again added /payphrase, again nothing, I checked the amazon help pages and nothing came up so I contacted amazon who have got straight back to me and told me it is nothing to do with them but they will investigate this it. so I thought I would pass this on and hope nobody gets caught

skidzy 21:31 11 Nov 2009

Well done Conrail.

First tip for anyone is to NOT login to any account via a link.

Always type the address first and login manually whilst checking you are secure...look for the padlock !

I often get spam and phishing emails...but never follow them.....if its to good to be true - it normally is.

morddwyd 07:24 12 Nov 2009

Thanks Conrail.

Not been caught yet, mainly thanks to warnings like yours!

Forewarned is forearmed.

Chris the Ancient 14:45 12 Nov 2009

There used to be a magic little application called "Spoofstick" which added a toolbar to either IE or Firefox. The configurable toolbar would show the REAL address of any site visited... click here But don't bother downloading it!

Because, unfortunately, they never kept it up to date and latest IE and Firefox issues aren't covered.

I used to love it and now miss it.

Has anyone found an equivalent

CtA

Forum Editor 17:52 12 Nov 2009

for the warning.

esbe 00:08 13 Nov 2009
  esbe 00:10 13 Nov 2009

- - search for payphrase in help section.

cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone