Amazon & Misco Customer service down the toilet?

Faser 15:41 06 Feb 2006

There are lots of postings praising Amazon including my own and a few for Misco, sadly this is no longer the case.

I have been waiting for either a refund or replacement for a failed 6 month old hard drive for 8 months from Misco! I have probably spent more in telephone calls than the value of the drive. Every time they say “Sorry we will get back to you”.

Now a LG, (Who’s UK service department seem to have gone bust) CD-ROM drive sounds and feels like a helicopter taking off. No problem I thought, I bought from Amazon. Wrong, I soon discovered that there is now way of reporting faulty goods purchased over 30 days ago on their website.

After running the usual gauntlet of press this press that I managed to speak to a “Customer advisor”, who told me I should have contacted LG. As you all probably know under UK law this is wrong advice and this no longer seems possible anyway.
She than said I would have to return it myself at my expense to Amazon and the refund could take up to 3 weeks.

Not good enough Amazon, they too have been deleted from my favourites along with Misco. What amazes me is I have made loads of purchases on eBay, who if you believe the media are the devil incarnate and have had outstanding service both from private and company sellers. Any faulty items have been replaced or a refund given without question!

Stuartli 15:51 06 Feb 2006

I've never had any problems obtaining replacements or refunds (on the rare occasions it has proved necessary) from Amazon.

LG Support can be obtained at:

click here

if the FAQs don't provide a suitable solution.

Faser 16:20 06 Feb 2006

Thanks Stuartli for the LG link, the website on the supplied paperwork is different, presumably out of date.

I am still not happy with Amazon, their customer adviser did not know how to contact LG and it's the retailers responsibility anyway.

I also agree Amazon service has been in the past exemplary, when was the last time you had a problem with an item that was not within their 30 day policy?

spuds 16:27 06 Feb 2006

I see what you mean about the service department click here Just typed in some details including home address, and received message 'data not found'.

I have an LG Combo unit, and the manual gives the UK contact point as LG Electronics UK Ltd,LG House,264 Bath Road,Slough,Berkshire,SL1 4DT.

Stuartli 16:35 06 Feb 2006

>>when was the last time you had a problem with an item that was not within their 30 day policy?>>

With a 18 month old Logitech 5.1 speaker system that went faulty last year; Logitech's advice didn't cure the problem, so I contacted Amazon as the speaker system had a two year warranty.

Amazon immediately provided an RMA, the system was sent by ParcelForce to Milton Keynes and a week later Amazon refunded the full £249.99 cost of the speakers, along with the £14 plus ParcelForce carriage charge.

Amazon has always provided superb service and after sales service and I know many other people will support that view.

Stuartli 16:39 06 Feb 2006

LG has several websites listed:

click here

and

click here

(but both take you to the same website)

along with:

click here

howard63 19:09 06 Feb 2006

A quick word in favour of Misco and recorded phone calls. The week before last I wanted an adsl modem/router for a friend. I found what looked the best deal on their site. I was not entriely sure about the description so I phoned their pre order free phone number. Normal recording stated that all calls are recorded etc. I then gave the number of the article and asked if that was an adsl modem/router and would it work on a bt line. Yes came the reply and I placed my order. I used the 3 day delivery cheap option at 4.30 in the afternoon. Just after 8 a.m. next morning it was delivered. When I opened it I found it was a dsl modem/router which connects to a cable modem. I phoned them and told them what had happened. I was asked if I had used this phone to call the previous day and said yes. The technician then checked the phone recording. He was very apologetic and immediately gave a return number and arranged for it to be picked up the next day. It was picked up and the following day my money was refunded. That all in all was superb service apart from 1 person not checking before saying yes.

Dowman 13:10 21 Feb 2006

I am having exactly the same problem.

I bought one (and get one free) Panasonic Network Cameras from Misco at the begining of the January 2006 and they were delivered promptly.

After I configured the first camera and read the instruction manual, decided where to mount the camera in my home, make a bracket, and run the data & power cables under the floor etc. (this took about two weeks), I then unboxed the second camera and after 20mins of use I discovered a fault with the pan & tilt lens.

So I phoned Misco Customer Services, and they said to send the camera (me paying for postage) to a repair agent in Leeds.

After several calls to Misco explaining that the camera was 'dead on arrival', I then managed to arrange a return to Misco in early February.

However it turned out that they have now sent the camera to the repair agent. Yet I still cannot get through to them that the product was 'dead on arrival' and under the Sale of Goods Act, I am entitled to a replacement.

However after 4 phones calls at my expense, I am being promised that the girl dealing with my enquiry, will get back to me ASAP, and no call is returned.

I wrote a letter of compliant to Misco at Wellingborough and have recieved no feedback at all regarding my dissatisfaction with the level of support.

I am now so frustrated about this that I am now seriously considering legal action in the small claims court for my £210, and some bad publicity in the consumer watchdog columns. Maybe this will shake their feathers.
I am having exactly the same problem.

I bought one (and get one free) Panasonic Network Cameras from Misco at the begining of the January 2006 and they were delivered promptly.

After I configured the first camera and read the instruction manual, decided where to mount the camera in my home, make a bracket, and run the data & power cables under the floor etc. (this took about two weeks), I then unboxed the second camera and after 20mins of use I discovered a fault with the pan & tilt lens.

So I phoned Misco Customer Services, and they said to send the camera (me paying for postage) to a repair agent in Leeds.

After several calls to Misco explaining that the camera was 'dead on arrival', I then managed to arrange a return to Misco in early February.

However it turned out that they have now sent the camera to the repair agent. Yet I still cannot get through to them that the product was 'dead on arrival' and under the Sale of Goods Act, I am entitled to a replacement.

However after 4 phones calls at my expense, I am being promised that the girl dealing with my enquiry, will get back to me ASAP, and no call is returned.

I wrote a letter of compliant to Misco at Wellingborough and have recieved no feedback at all regarding my dissatisfaction with the level of support.

I am now so frustrated about this that I am now seriously considering legal action in the small claims court for my £210, and some bad publicity in the consumer watchdog columns. Maybe this will shake their feathers.

Stuartli 13:17 21 Feb 2006

Was that intended to be a BOGOF posting as well...:-)

Dowman 13:30 21 Feb 2006

How did two copies of my statement get to this forum??

Faser 20:08 21 Feb 2006

I wouldn't hold your breath Dowman I still have not had the HD back or credit for it.

Also like yourself I have not had a reply to my letters or emails and they never call back!

In your case it would be worth going to the small claims court, I'm no expert but apparently it's quite easy and most companies settle out of court anway. Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

ManvsMachine win UK's only Gold Design Cannes Lions award

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?