Amazon holding onto my money

daeburndave 16:21 05 Aug 2008

Hi

I am ( but wont be anymore ) a seller through Amazon.Co.UK I sold one item, an almost brand new monitor in June ( still with 8 months manufacturers warranty ): buyer absolutely over the moon with exemplary buyers report 5 out of 5: shortly afterwards Amazon slapped me with a notice about holding onto my money for up to 45 and maybe 90 days.
I have read some horrendous reports about this on the web, some sellers quoting that Amazon have 'stolen' their money. Suffice to say I wont sell anything else through them again nor will I purchase anything from them ever again: I wonder if any other readers out there have experienced this problem and if so should PC Advisor look into it on our behalf.

User2008 16:33 05 Aug 2008

When they have ""stolen"" it for the 90 days it always gets returned doesn't it?

Therefore it's not stolen and you agreed to the terms by selling on their site.

daeburndave 17:12 05 Aug 2008

Hi User 2008

Thks for your response: the comment 'stolen' is from web reports as mentioned and not my personal comment: however whilst I accept your point about agreeing to their terms, there was no mention whatsoever about a 45 or 90 day holding clause BEFORE I became a seller; this only appeared after I had made the sale: I think I am astute enough to have not been interested in selling expensive items and having to wait 3 months for payment if I had known of these terms and conditions beforehand. You might be interested to have a look at what is going on with Amazon.Com in the States on this issue: there are a lot of very angry sellers out there looking to take out some sort of litigation action.

Pamy 17:21 05 Aug 2008

Contact Consumer Direct, click here

Pamy 17:23 05 Aug 2008

Sorry click here

daeburndave 18:22 05 Aug 2008

Me again,
Just reread Amazons T's and C's and specifically the section on HOW AMAZON PAYMENTS WORKS. it clearly states that payments will be made every 2 weeks and that the seller has no worries about chargebacks as they guarantee this. Excited? Dont be. Once you become a seller and actually make a sale you are mysteriously drawn in to their SELLERS PERFORMANCE DEPARTMENT which then puts your new account under review which then means you are not going to get any money for at least 45 but more likely 90 days even though your buyer is so delighted with his purchase he could marry you! and gives you a 5 out of 5 star rating. This is such a brilliant business plan that if I had thought it up I would have walked off with the biggest prize ever dished out by the members of Dragons Den!! Imagine: they get their money immediately: they deduct a very nice commission fee and then even though there is absolutely no dispute twixt me the buyer or Amazon they hold on to my money for probably 3 months and get the interest as well. These people should be in government! My advice is to steer well clear as my gut feeling is that I may not get any money back ever. I'll keep you posted...

User2008 18:25 05 Aug 2008

Don't eBay do this to new sellers for expensive items too? I think over £50 is the threshold.

daeburndave 18:39 05 Aug 2008

Hi again User 2008

I dont know about eBay I avoid them like the plague but having spent a fortune over the years with Amazon I would have expected them to be somewhat more upfront: I do feel there is something sinister about all of this so much so that I have already mentally written off ever seeing this money especially since you cant phone them and get a real person you can only E-mail this Seller Performance Department and they choose not to respond: I now will only deal with Internet Companies who have a telephone and a human being on the end. Hey-Ho we all get caught once!!

PalaeoBill 20:53 06 Aug 2008

Looking at Amazon's FAQ on:
click here

I found this:
"12 If we reasonably conclude, based on information available to us, that seller's actions and/or performance in connection with the Services may result in a significant number of buyer disputes, chargebacks or other claims, then we may in our sole discretion delay initiating any remittances and withhold any payments to be made or that are otherwise due to you in connection with the Services or this Agreement for the shorter of: (a) a period of 90 days following the initial date of suspension; or (b) completion of any investigation(s) regarding any seller actions and/or performance in connection with this Agreement. "

You say there is no problem with the goods and that the seller is very happy. If there has not been a mistake and Amazon are doing this as a matter of course, then there is a serious issue here and it needs to be addressed.
The money is rightly yours, their T&C's suggest payment will be at 14 days. If they are holding onto it for 90 days for no good reason then that is just plain wrong in my book.

daeburndave 12:24 07 Aug 2008

Hi PaleoBill
Thanks for your response: my conclusion is that both Amazon UK and.Com are deliberately holding onto sellers funds irrespective of whether the buyers are happy or not: Ive only sold one item through them as per my previous post and the buyers feedback was exemplary with a 5 out of 5 ( he even Emailed me direct to say how thrilled he was with his purchase ) Amazon are absolutely aware of this feedback but still wont pay me after 30 days from the date of this purchase after which it allegedly takes from 6 to 10 days for the money to be transferred!! This is contrary to their ' sucker you in statement ' to which you referred in which they promise you payment in 14 days. If you add up all the fees plus the interest they make on other people's money they are scamming the sellers out of a fortune. It is for this reason that I will never deal with them again and for which I felt sufficiently angry that I suggested PCAdvisor might cast an eye over this practice.

PalaeoBill 18:35 07 Aug 2008

If they are doing this to all new sellers as a matter of course, then it should be made clear during the sign up procedure.
Perhaps it is worth taking up with traiding standards or watchdog.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?