Amazon Free Delivery ? why the extra delay?

Widows Son 20:41 03 Sep 2003

Firstly I?ve ordered loads of stuff from Amazon over the last 6 or so years and never had any problem

I?ve observed recently that a couple (and it has only been a couple) of orders that I?ve made have taken longer apparently because I?ve selected free delivery. I know before you all start pointing it out that Amazon do state that this is the case, and I would have no gripe if this was due to them using the most economical method of delivery.

However this doesn?t seem to be the case, they seem to ?sit? on your order for a couple of days before they despatch it ? several friends of mine have also noticed this.

Have you noticed this and if so do you have any idea why? (apart from the obvious ? they want you to pay for delivery)

Jester2K II 20:45 03 Sep 2003

They probably prioritise customers paying for delivery. Therefore even if you get your order in early in the day it'll be put to the back of the queue for processing until time becomes available to process the "free delivery" orders.

There's no such thing as a free lunch...

RJay 21:16 03 Sep 2003

I placed an order with Amazon on Wednesday evening last week ( 27/8 ), choosing the free delivery option and they advised on the order confirmation to expect delivery between 3rd to 6th of September. However there was a knock at the door around lunchtime on Friday 29/8 and lo and behold - my Amazon delivery,so I hve nothing but praise for them.

whybe 21:35 03 Sep 2003

I think you're right Jester2K II, I've had deliveries using the free system from the following morning to the 3 or 4 days they mention. If you get in at a slack point you get the benefit of both. I have been very impressed with them.

spuds 23:14 03 Sep 2003

All to do with logistics. Supply and demand with transport facilities.'Paid for' goods will take priority of available space. 'Non paid for' goods would be allocated space spots when available.Could be anything from 1 to 5 days.

Stuartli 09:08 04 Sep 2003

I've used various companies' free delivery over a certain price facilities and found it didn't make any difference to delivery times.

Latest order, about 10 days ago, was with BlankDiskShop for a couple of DVD rewriters plus media - it just met the requirements for free delivery (actually the firm charges one penny!).

The goods were ordered late on a Friday and were delivered to my home around mid morning the following Tuesday - excellent service as always from this company.

SEASHANTY 14:45 06 Sep 2003

Ordered Drive Image 7 and Partition Magic 8 recently on a Sunday afternoon. Package arrived 0750 following Wednesday by Royal Mail van. Sent by 1st. Class post. This was on the free delivery offer so I was well pleased.

WaiKent 19:27 07 Sep 2003

That because free delivery is a certain high price, that you will most probably buy more than one item so it will or might take time to gather them in one package? just an idea. once i bought a book and it was first class, took 2 weeks to arrive. that was my first order on amazon. maybe because they had little stock.

I've ordered many times from Amazon and have never been dissatisfied until recently. I had appalling service from Amazon.

I must have rung them ten times, that is after I managed to get their number because if you look carefully, their telephone number is no where to be found on their site. When I spoke to Amazon, they told me this was their company policy. Incidentally, I got their number off directory enquiries - I used the new BT no 118500.

Anyway, to answer some people's queries on this forum, when my package was delivered 5 days later than scheduled and invoiced, I found out Amazon were using Securicor, who in turn used another company ,who used another company, who used homeworkers. A bit complicated, I think. Normally, one would not know the internal process as one receives their package, generally on time.

And when I did get my parcel, it was slightly damaged, most unlike Amazon. When I opened it up, I noticed the CD case was chipped and cracked. Sadly, this is not the first time my CDs have arrived in this less than perfect condition.

Moral of the story, I would still order from Amazon but be prepared if you get a few hiccups along the way with their new free delivery. And if you don't, well that's great.

PS. In order to get my package delivered, I had to escalate it twice to a supervisor, who did call me back immediately. Considering I was most annoyed by this point, he promised to email me a gift voucher for the bad service experienced. Yippee I thought. Then I opened my email. It was for £3. I didn't know whether to be offended or grateful!

SEASHANTY 20:21 01 Oct 2003

.....and after all that you didn't give us Amazons 'phone number! Tut!

consultik 20:41 01 Oct 2003

My experience with amazon is that delivery via Royal Mail is great, but via Securicor Omega ("Free") the service quite risky - eg parcels left with neighbours I don't know and no card telling me this is the case!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?