Amazon Customer service

iscanut 17:56 24 Jul 2009

Bought a Netgear Wireless Router last October. Has just failed to work and will not power up. Advised Amazon and asked about exchange under warranty. Had an email by return saying no problem, return the old unit with the enclosed prepaid address label. No questions asked. That is what I call service.

Forum Editor 18:44 24 Jul 2009

why Amazon has grown to be such a successful business.

do-gull 19:47 24 Jul 2009

Also the free delivery service is so fast no need to opt for the express option.

D.G

Spark6 23:17 24 Jul 2009

Agreed.

Stuartli 21:25 27 Jul 2009

I once bought an expensive Logitech surround sound system on behalf of the younger offspring which had a two year warranty.

The system began to play up well into the second year of the warranty, so I contacted Amazon.

I was advised to return it to the main warehouse and, within two or three days, had had a full refund plus the cost of shipping the system back.

Amazon, Cruicial and similar on-line outlets have a standard of sales and after sales customer care which their competitors should look on as a blueprint.

Spark6 23:22 27 Jul 2009

I agree with your assessment of Amazon but have reservations re Crucial. The 1.0gb memory recently purchased, at their recommendation, postage and package free, turned out to be incompatible with my laptop. Needless to say I was saddled with return postage and insurance.

How does one avoid this inconvenience?

pjwheeldon 13:07 30 Jul 2009

I bought a Garmin GPS handheld from Amazon in May to use on a holiday to Mallorca. Weekend before we left it failed. One quick call to Amazon and they had it in the post to try and rush it through. Was "lost" by the Royal Mail however so had to depart without it. On return from holiday again made 1 quick call to Amazon to report the no-show, and again another replacement was in the post by return.

Phone calls were all very professional, pleasant and apologetic for the problems caused.

Worth mentioning that the returns process was excellent as well. As they give 30 days to return the item I was able to use the box they sent the (2nd) replacement in, and postage was re-printed from their returns e-mail.

Although not always the cheapest I certainly now make sure I look at Amazon when I am buying online

Stuartli 13:18 30 Jul 2009

As you state it was Crucial's error I'm sure, if you point this out, that they will replace the memory and refund your return delivery costs.

Crucial once replaced similar incorrect memory for my daughter (the error was hers) without a quibble more than a year after she had bought it.

The reason it had not been brought to Crucial's attention earlier was the fact that she lives in the Cayman Islands and only returns to the UK about once a year on average...:-)

In this case she was happy to pay the delivery cost to return the original memory to Crucial, who replaced it with the correct version.

Spark6 15:45 30 Jul 2009

I returned the incompatible memory to Crucial as soon as I received an RMA from them. Their advice is to ensure the return is adequately insured to cover possible loss.

The return post and packaging cost me a little under £6.00 which I did not consider worth chasing. Possibly I should have!!

Stuartli 18:27 30 Jul 2009

My daughter used Special Delivery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?