Amazon Canada Account Security Concern

saraii81 20:59 21 Jun 2017

Hi all, I was wondering if any of you could help shed some light on this. I went into the amazon.ca website today, and noticed someone else was logged on. I do not know that person, only I use this laptop and I bought it brand new two months ago. I called amazon's customer service and didn't get much of an explanation. The rep was very perplexed and had not heard of anything like this. They just said they would send it over to their security department, however, I won't be getting an update on what happened. I'm wondering if anyone could offer me some insight on how that might have happened?

Thanks in advance!

Forum Editor 06:42 22 Jun 2017

"...I bought it brand new two months ago."

Did you buy from a reputable supplier? There have been cases of people buying 'new' machines, only to find that the computer has previously been used by someone else.

I'm not suggesting that this has happened to you, but it is a possibility. Otherwise, it's difficult to see how you could be automatically logged into Amazon under another identity, unless there was a glitch on the Amazon system.

Menzie 00:12 23 Jun 2017

That's very strange indeed, hopefully it wasn't a phishing site trying to get you to enter your username and password.

Was it a secure site? There should be 'https' in the address bar along with a padlock icon.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie