Alternative needed for Windows Media Player

erkmatrix 09:46 01 Mar 2007

Hi can anyone recommend a good media player free or one within £30 that will play music and movies on my PC and have the option to search the internet to name tracks. Now when I put in a CD to put on my computer Windows Media player doesn't find album details, tried downloading WM11 as I have 10 still and found that even more confusing as to getting album details so would love an alternative.

Anyone use something else.

Cheers.
Phil

Stuartli 10:53 01 Mar 2007

In WMP11, click the arrow at the bottom of the Library button - you'll find the means to add playlists etc.

It's worth reading the subject up in the Help file which, like all MS help files, is both comprehensive and well written.

[email protected] 11:56 01 Mar 2007

I'm reluctant to recommend it but click here.

I'm more inclined to think that your problem lies with a connectivity issue. Are you sure you haven't blocked WMP from accessing the internet with your firewall? Try temporarily disabling it.

Patr100 13:28 01 Mar 2007

Yes, sounds like there is a firewall blocking acess. or check settings for WMP.

tenplus1 13:37 01 Mar 2007

VideoLan's VLC Player is a damn good music and movie player with internet streaming for radio stations and tv shows... It'll handle DVD's and Audio CD's without a problem and can be found at click here

tenplus1 14:08 01 Mar 2007

...alternatively...

You could chcek out MediaMonkey as well as this is a full-blown media experience for beginners and experts alike... It does EVERYTHING you could imagine with your music...

link: click here

n4165si 14:15 01 Mar 2007

click here
look here under audio and take your pick

Kate B 14:20 01 Mar 2007

I like iTunes - just make sure you change its ripping default to mp3 from AAC.

xquest 22:28 01 Mar 2007

My WMP v.10 has been corrupt for well over a year and won't uninstall, so version 11 won't install. I use Winamp which rips and adds track names etc. plays videos, receives Shoutcast TV and Radio and so on, no problem, but I had to pay (£10 I think) to get maximum ripping speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017