AllofMP3.com to be sued, & ripping CDs is 'OK'

GaT7 17:29 14 Nov 2006

I guess this was going to happen at some point...

>>BPI to sue illegal website AllofMP3.com

In response to a question about the much-publicised Russian download site AllofMP3.com BPI General Counsel Roz Groome said,” AllofMP3.com is illegal under UK law and it is illegal to download from it.”

AllofMP3.com’s claims to be legal are false, she said. Neither artists nor record companies receive any payment from the site.

Despite media speculation that the BPI would move to take action against users of the illegal website, Groome said “We are going to sue AllofMP3.com in the UK courts – we are going to seek a judgment not against the users of the site, but against the site itself.”>>

You can now breathe easier (though I did it often, it wasn't something I was comfortable with)...

>>BPI reassures consumers: “We will not sue you for filling your iPod with music you have bought yourself"

BPI Chairman Peter Jamieson was quizzed on the fact that the “all rights reserved” nature of British copyright law means that – without specific authorisation – any UK consumer who rips CDs they have bought in order to fill an iPod or other MP3 player is currently guilty of copyright infringement.

“Traditionally the recording industry has turned a blind eye to private copying and has used the strength of the law to pursue commercial pirates,” he said.

“We believe that we now need to make a clear and public distinction between copying for your own use and copying for dissemination to third parties and make it unequivocally clear to the consumer that if they copy their CDs for their own private use in order to move the music from format to format we will not pursue them.”>>

Your comments please. G

Forum Editor 17:47 14 Nov 2006

to work out that AllofMP3.com wasn't paying the copyright owners for the music that was being sold on the site, regardless of what the site's owners said to the contrary.

The site is, and always has been illegally distributing copyright-protected music, and I'm surprised that the BPI has waited until now to do anything about it.

lisa02 19:57 14 Nov 2006

“....... for their own private use in order to move the music from format to format we will not pursue them.”

No just stitch it up in as much DRM as they can, and breaching the DRM (circumventing copyright protection) is against the LAW.

lisa02 19:59 14 Nov 2006

allofmp3 deserve everything they have coming to them.

Stuartli 20:06 14 Nov 2006

Interestingly some Canadian musicians and groups take a different view than their record labels:

click here

Probabilitydrive 22:18 14 Nov 2006

I just wonder to what degree >>>>BPI to sue illegal website AllofMP3.com<<<< is going to have an effect?

Developments which eventually will bring allofmp3 to its knees are already under way: Visa/Master card decided to stop payments ot his site...Tele2 (Swedish telecom operator) is blocking access to Allofmp3 and I guess, the avalanche has started.

Its only a matter of time till other ISP's pick up the thread and thats that than.

jaritch 09:30 15 Nov 2006

There are others that should be being given the same treatment. gomusic.ru offers similar promises of legality but obviously are not.

GaT7 21:25 04 Dec 2006

From click here:

"Russians agree with US to shut down AllofMP3.com

Website claims its operating legally

1 December 2006 - The US has almost succeeded in its campaign to get Russian music downloading site AllofMP3.com to shut down.

The site was named as an examples of the obstacles that prevent Russia from joining the World Trade Organization. However, it seems that Russia has now agreed to take action against sites that breach copyright......"

G

GaT7 20:54 04 Jan 2007

US makes legal strike on AllofMP3.com click here.

Ticking this as resolved as I think it has run its course. G

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:08 04 Jan 2007

If any of the people writing here had copyright material that was being pimped by ALLofMP3 you would be furious that you were getting nothing. This is not rocket science. Let 'em rot I say.

G

Input Overload 23:28 04 Jan 2007

The prices they are charging are pretty realistic for downloaded music compared to cd. Why people download music at near the price of a Cd is beyond me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?