For all you Norton A/V fans

amonra 15:34 31 Jan 2006

Perhaps you'd like to read the comments on this link ? click here

Thalmus 15:51 31 Jan 2006

I've have used Norton anti-virus since my first PC which I got in 1996, back then it was called Dr Norton. However it has become a hugh lag on my system and after my subscription ends i will be saying goodbye and installing one of the free alternatives that are out there.

I do feel however is a good product and it does its job well and I have never had any problems with it in all its versions since '96

Forum Editor 16:01 31 Jan 2006

so I'll move it across now.

961 19:09 31 Jan 2006

Quite apart from the views on Symantec (Yes), great link!

Mr Mistoffelees 20:29 31 Jan 2006

I have been using Symantec Norton antivirus and utility software since 1999 and have very few problems with it, including NIS and Systemworks 2005 that I am running now. I configure it carefully and it has never been a resource hog. A few seconds on to the boot time is nothing of consequence.

The anti-Symantec movement seems to be gathering pace with the same unjustified zeal as the anti-Microsoft movement. Is it because they are big and successful perchance?

Danoh 23:37 31 Jan 2006

Thanks Amonra; I've credited this thread and added PCWorld's Web site to my thread; click here

v1asco 23:51 31 Jan 2006

they will tell you how to get rid of the warnings, its in the registry. it only takes umpteen emails and even voice contact.
It is a pain and worse is the Virus alert. What are you supposed to do stuck in the Atlantic Ocean for 4 months. I thought this was cured but no luck.

sunny staines 16:26 01 Feb 2006

are you able to publish the registry in this thread to stop the reminders.

PaulB2005 19:06 01 Feb 2006

"But how do I know that renewing will add 12 months of subscription time to the end of my current 12-month term?"

Well Symantec have been selling 366 day licenses as standard for quite a while now. Just helped someone renew their Norton AV or another year even though it doesn't run out until mid April. Guess what it didn't add a year to the date but a year and a day. Yup 17/4/2006 renewed to 18/4/2007.

This is just another "i hate Norton because it's fashionable to do so" - look at the responses. If you don't want a product, don't use it. I've seen too many PCs screwed up because people "didn't realise my AV was out of date" to take this person seriously. the warnings are there for a reason - would it be better if the alerts only came 24 before it ran out. it only take a couple of clicks to kill the alert for a day or too. Considering the number of clicks this guy must make in a day 2 more won't hurt.....

freaky 19:36 01 Feb 2006

My NIS was approaching subscription end, I also had the constant reminders - in fact the reminders would sometimes arrive in the middle of a game I was playing causing it to stop !

I had intended to renew, but because of the above it was uninstalled and replaced with freebies.

Totally-braindead 19:38 01 Feb 2006

Have to agree with the point PaulB2005 makes about the nagging complaint. if hes annoyed now imagine how annoyed he'd be if his subscription ran out and he never noticed it or it ran out 24 hours before and he didn't have the money at the time to renew, surely its better to have a window pop up warning you, its only a couple of mouse clicks.

Having said that, I'm one of the people who used to use it but wouldn't have it on my computer anymore. Much happier with AVG.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017