All In One Photo Printer

lyneth 17:13 13 Apr 2007

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

I'm looking to upgrade my old hp deskjet 5550 printer for a nice new all in one multifunction photo printer.

My question is what would anyone recommend as I'm looking around £200ish for a really nice one!

Cheers

pj123 18:19 13 Apr 2007

Personally I wouldn't buy an "all in one" printer because if one thing goes wrong, it all goes wrong. Having said that, Epson printers are very good.

Plenty within your price range here:

click here

I have two Epson R220 printers and a separate
Epson 3170 Photo scanner.

Al94 19:25 13 Apr 2007

Have a look at this thread click here, particularly re the HP Photosmart C3180. You don't need to spend that kind of money for excellent prints and functionality.

laurie53 21:25 13 Apr 2007

I've jusr upgraded from an Officejet D135 to the C6180.

It's got good functionality and it's wireless.

Never had a problem with an MFD, and I'm on my fourth

Laurie

joethebow 21:39 13 Apr 2007

Don't look at the price of the printer, look at the price of ownership. In particular look at the price of replacement ink cartridges, how many photo's each one can print and what each photo actualy costs to print.

I've just moved from a Lexmark to an Epson because the former cost me £17 for a colour cartridge while the later costs me £2.50 and I get the same number of prints and same quality from each.

jack 08:43 14 Apr 2007

Like Hi-Fi's 'All in Ones' are at best a compromise between functionality and acceptable price.
Separates is the way to go as pj123 said.
A dedicated photo-printer a good quality scanner with transparency/negative capability is the answer

With regard cost of ownership- as johnthebow said
is a crucial factor- price of compatibles - is a consideration but you will pay for the best -as always.

spuds 12:39 14 Apr 2007

At present I am using an HP C3180 (8 weeks old), Lexmark X5150 (2/3 years old), HP OfficeJet 590 (10+ years old), all are 3/4 in 1s. Never had a problem with any of them, that's worth mentioning.

The HP C3180 is a fair machine, and it seems to do the tasks that are thrown at it. This model is still available at Staples for £39.99 and possibly Argos. Was also available at PC World. At Christmas time, this product ( which as been superseded by a similar model) was selling in the region of £99.99.

Cost of original HP cartridges Black (HP338) £9.49 (7dayshop) Colour (HP 343) £10.99 (7dayshop), all have seemed to last quite some time, used on a regular daily basis. The colour cartridge level indicator was showing empty 70 copies ago, and still providing copies!.I have a colour cartridge (HP 343) on standby, which was on offer from Ebuyer at £12.56,which included 60 sheets of 10.15cm photo paper/sheets.

shellship 16:43 15 Apr 2007

I have had an HP PSC 2200 for several years, my wife has a much more modern one from HP and our parish office has just bought another HP all-in-one. I have no hesitation in recommending the HP models. pj123 is right if your standards and demands are very high but the modern all-in-ones are really pretty good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?