Aldi DVD Burner

alB 17:33 27 Feb 2005

Aldi stores are selling a Gericom external DVD burner from this Thursday for £59.95, does anyone have any comments on the spec/make/price of this unit, it seems to be (to a novice like me) a pretty good bargain...alB click here

rickf 22:06 27 Feb 2005

That looks like a very good deal. Go for it.

SEASHANTY 23:10 27 Feb 2005

Seems OK. Good price for an external DVD drive. The fact that it states USB2 cable and firewire cable supplied suggests that it supports both options but it doesn't actually say this is so.
Shame it doesn't support DVD-RAM like the LG external click here although this is £90 on Ebuyer and only USB2....but at £60 I expect Aldi will quickly sell out.

bvw in bristol 23:56 27 Feb 2005

The USB logo is USB 1 and Nero version 5.

Best to double check first?

Stuartli 14:09 28 Feb 2005

>>only USB2>>

Only USB 2??

In all but a few cases involving recent USB2 ports manufacturing configuration, USB2 is fully backward compatible.

SEASHANTY 16:18 28 Feb 2005

I was referring to drives including USB2 and Firewire options - not USB1

alB 17:43 28 Feb 2005

Thanks to all for your comments,I'm going to have a look at the drive on Thursday, check out the full spec. bvw in bristol, I did notice that it's bundled with Nero 5, but I was hoping to use it with my version of Easy CD creator and although it does seem to be USB 1, even though it will write slower I'm not really bothered about that, what I would like to know from SEASHANTY is the support for DVD Ram, what does this mean?? and is it worth paying the extra money to get one that does support it. Cheers for now...alB

SEASHANTY 22:52 28 Feb 2005

Info on DVD-RAM click here
Only the LG drives support both recording to and playback of DVD-RAM discs. In a PC you can treat
ram discs as similar to a hard drive in the way they work. You can drag and drop files onto them. Pioneer drives will read ram discs but not record them. Many of the home dvd recorders also support ram discs. Those mfd by Panasonic, JVC, Toshiba, Hitachi and Samsung. They aren't essential as DVDRW discs do a similar job but will not last as long as ram discs. In my case they complement my home JVC and Panasonic DVD recorders and I have a large quantity of these discs. They are handy as a replacement for VHS tapes in the VCR, especially if you have a DVD recorder without a hard drive.

Another link with some info
click here

SEASHANTY 22:55 28 Feb 2005

I see that my last link does not go to the page so
just type <DVD-RAM> in the Quick Search box on the
left hand side of the page.

alB 19:06 01 Mar 2005

Thanks for the links, don't know if DVD Ram would be any use to me or not, I use a removable hard drive for moving stuff around and for archiving etc. and also burn photos and the like to CDR, for general day to day use I've got a couple of CDRW's formatted to Direct CD and use them as large floppies, I thought the DVD burner would help me get more material onto a disc, backups etc. and also allow me to read DVD's (PCA cover disc), I'll take a look at it and let you know how I go on, thanks again to all...alB

SEASHANTY 15:12 02 Mar 2005

Note that Ebuyer have reduced the price of the LG 5120D external DVD drive. It's now £70-49 (inc. vat) and is both Firewire and USB2 click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?