Airport X-Ray Scanners

anchor 17:09 20 Dec 2004

From recent tests in the USA it seems that digital media cards are safe from harm, but film and camera phone images are at risk of fogging.

click here

Stuartli 17:34 20 Dec 2004

If true it's surprising. I've carried both new and used packs of film through airport scanners on many occasions in various parts of the world over the past 20 years and never had any problems.

I'm sure that the FE will also have considerable experience of the subject as he undertakes quite a bit of travelling.

anchor 18:22 20 Dec 2004

Perhaps the X-Ray power has been increased very recently in the USA.

As the test was done there, we have no up to date information on other countries. Better safe than sorry.

€dstowe 18:53 20 Dec 2004

My partner is an airline pilot and carries both photographic film, memory cards for digital cameras and a laptop all the while when travelling. Never any problem with any of them.

Remember that airline staff go through the same security checks as passengers.

I fail to see any reason why camera phones should fog in airport X-ray machines. They are not based on traditional silver photography but on electronic methods the same as, or very similar to, those used in digital cameras.

€dstowe 19:02 20 Dec 2004

As a rider to the above, 800 ASA film is not what most people would be taking with them to produce their holiday snaps and multiple passes (5 + is mentioned) of "ordinary" film through a scanner is unusual, surely.

If anyone is concerned about this with "real" film, either buy the film abroad and have it processed there or, if you have to take it with you, then you can still have it processed abroad.

When I do overseas work, I always buy film locally and have it processed likewise - it's almost always cheaper than here in the UK. I all comes from the same makers.

It's Me 20:06 20 Dec 2004

Sorry! I am baffled. where has your 800ASA film been refered to before, or, for that matter, the 5 multiple passes? None of this shows up on my copy of this thread;))

€dstowe 20:12 20 Dec 2004

If you open the click here given by anchor, all will be revealed - and more.

jack 20:33 20 Dec 2004

This I think is a typical example 'non' news
generated by an arm of industry as a PR excersise
to push a particular agenda

Watch out for this type of thing on the BBC news in particular when an item is presented as a 'new' discovery or 'breaking' news and then be in vited to watch the story in full later that day on a scenice based program that has to have been at least 9 months in the making----------Pshaw

hornpipe 21:05 20 Dec 2004

As an air traveller for over 40 years, I can assure you that airport scanners of all types can be harmful to ordinary "roll" films. No such damage is known to occur to digital media, whether camera or phone.
h

Steve- 08:19 21 Dec 2004

On a recent trip back from the USA there were notices by the scanners at Dulles indicating that film above, I think it was 400 ASA, was at risk and could be checked manually.

€dstowe 08:54 21 Dec 2004

I am of the opinion that high speed films (400ASA and above) are very rare amongst the run-of-the-mill flying passenger. Most will be tourists with their low speed (64 ASA) Kodacolor or its equivalent.

Professionals who do use high speed film stock either have it hand examined or do as I do and buy/process locally thus avoiding the danger of inadvertant exposure to airport X ray machines or, as happened to me a long time ago, having a film stripped from its cassette by an over-zealous airport official. Fortunately the film was unexposed and not of an particular value but this shows my reason for buying films the way I do when on location abroad.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone