Advice - Recommendation Gaming PC Build

avidfeed 09:38 21 Nov 2014

Hi,

In the past I have always stuck to buying pre-built gaming rigs. However this time around I decided I'd like to do the assembly myself mainly to get the most out of my budget and learn something along the way.

I've done quite a lot of research and pulled up the below spec for my budget (£1200). Before I go ahead and start purchasing these components I'd just like some opinions on the overall build, if the hardware will all be fully compatible and whether anyone would recommend different pieces all together. Thanks:

• Case: NZXT PHANTOM 240 WHITE GAMING CASE

• CPU: Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache

• CPU Cooling: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler

• Motherboard: ASUS® Z97-A: ATX, USB3.0, SATA 6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE

• GPU: 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 760 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

• System Drive: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

• Storage Drive: WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

• Memory: 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)

• Power Supply: CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

P.S. I think I may have over-estimated what I need in terms of power-supply, but it can't hurt to have too much, right?

Menzie 17:58 21 Nov 2014

Looks like a nice machine, the only weak point would be the video card. The 760 is pretty good but system requirements have shot up and I'd say if you could stretch to a 770 or even better a 970 you will get a system that will last longer before you have to touch anything on it again.

I myself have a 660 and games like Far Cry 4 and even sports titles like NBA 2K15 are asking for more than this now as the recommended graphics.

That's about it, if this is a games machine consider another card to save you upgrading again sooner than you'd have to down the line.

avidfeed 19:26 21 Nov 2014

Thanks for the advice!

The video card was actually a mistype from another build I had open, it is the 970 I intend to use, so that's that issue sorted. Would you still recommend an additional video card if I use the 970? Or would that be overkill?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?