Advice re Digital Camera

ray7 10:14 17 Feb 2006

As my existing camera has now packed up, I am in the market for a replacement.

Question is, do I replace it now or wait until later in the year when I'll be in Hong Kong and buy one there as I believe they may be cheaper.Your views would be appreciated particularly from anyone has taken the 'Hong Kong option'

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:30 17 Feb 2006

I have bought quite a few cameras from cameras2U and they were the same, if not cheaper than any from Hong Kong. The only advantage that HK has is that there are newer models out sooner than here. Personally I would not bother waiting.

G

961 11:26 17 Feb 2006

Don't wait

Quite apart from anything else if you buy here you will be streets ahead if ever you have a problem with the camera

Remember too that there can be problems with vat and duty when you come back into the UK

Prices here are more competitive these days if you shop around

pc_sausage 12:34 17 Feb 2006

This depends on your feelings towards ebay....

If you have a trawl on there for camera suppliers, you find loads in the Far East - it's easy to pick out the ones with lots of positive (& genuine) feedback.

I've never had to pay any import duties on things I've had shipped from the Far East (although there's no guarantee).

I do always seem to get collared when buying anything from the U.S.

Fellsider 14:37 17 Feb 2006

Try this. click here

Enter 'Digital Cameras' in the search for field

will cpmpare prices for you

Jon T 14:44 17 Feb 2006

Personally I take the view that such quick moving technology will be out of date 6-12 months after you've bought it anyway so whats the point of waiting if you want one now and will have that much longer to enjoy it. Just my own view.

mahalo 19:02 17 Feb 2006

I bought a Casio camera and spare battery in Singapore last year. Got home, camera was cheaper here and the battery was a quarter of the price here. Once bitten twice shy !!.
Cheers

ray7 22:25 18 Feb 2006

for the response. General advice seems to be 'ignore singapore'

Advise taken onboard. Thanks again everyone

rupie 01:10 19 Feb 2006

I have been all over the world and the main thing I have learned is that duty free is not as cheap as it was. Airports now make massive profits from duty free shopping. nowadays Dubai is no cheaper than any other duty free. on the other hand warranties are valid all over the world and sometimes it is quicker to send items direct to a maker than via a 3rd party supplier

rupie 01:10 19 Feb 2006

I have been all over the world and the main thing I have learned is that duty free is not as cheap as it was. Airports now make massive profits from duty free shopping. nowadays Dubai is no cheaper than any other duty free. on the other hand warranties are valid all over the world and sometimes it is quicker to send items direct to a maker than via a 3rd party supplier

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017